Comments

gandjcarr wrote on 10/9/2012, 2:21 PM

Hi,

What version of Windows are you using?  How much RAM does your system have, what CPU are you using, are you using 32  or 64 bit?  And why on earth are you trying to use your web site to download word and excel files?  I can see no reason why you would want to do this.

Good Luck

George

diegoldmpressparts wrote on 10/9/2012, 2:52 PM

Hi i'm using windows 7 ultimate, RAM 2gb, AMD Sempron 2.8 ghz, 32 bits

Sorry what i meant was that i created my web site and published it, in my web site there are some links that should allow you to open or download some files (catalogues and stuff) these files are .docx and .xlsx and compatible with older office versions.

So...i've opened my website with various explorers as i said and in all of them but Internet explorer i could "open or download" mentioned files

gandjcarr wrote on 10/9/2012, 3:10 PM

Hi,

Thank you for the additionional information.  I just want to be clear on something.  Are you actually trying to download file from your web site or upload files to it?

For now, stick with Firefox, not windows explorer. and we can work this through together.  If you are adamant about using Windows explorer, then you need to wait for someone whe actually respects and has confidence in that browser to come on line as I will not use the windows product for many reasons, the biggest ones being security and privacy.  If you want to go down that path, I would be happy to tell you all about it, but for now, if you use Firefox or any browser other than IE, I am happy to work with you to get this working.

George

diegoldmpressparts wrote on 10/9/2012, 3:19 PM

Hi thanks a lot for the help
Actually I use Firefox, but my boss says he wants the web page to work in all explorers (including Internet Explorer)

The files are all ready uploaded to the website, i was making some tests to know if everything was working right and then this problem came with IE .

Now i'm trying to convert all files to .pdf maybe that way IE will work....hopefully

johnebaker wrote on 10/10/2012, 4:22 PM

Hi

The issue with IE is because the web site servers do not have the correct Mime Type action set up for when delivering Word and Excel documents and getting them to open correctly in the appropriate program if it installed on the users computer.

As for the request to get the web site to work in all browsers - you will only get this when all the browser manufactuers interpret the HTML standards consistently.  To research more on this search Google for browser differences rendering

Using Word and Excel (and Powerpoint) files on a website for downloading is not a good idea.

For the user to be able to download these files and use them they must have the appropriate version of Office or Libre Open Office installed.

As you have quite rightly surmised it is better to convert them to pdf and put these on the website.

From a marketing point of view using Word, Excel or Powerpoint files is restricting your marketing audience - Stick to pdf files as this is the most universal format and will allow you reach a much wider audience - if a viewer does not have Adobe Reader installed they can get it for free - include the option to go to the Adobe site to download it if it is not find - there are plenty of script examples of how to do this on the Internet .

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/10/2012, 4:22 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.