Collage plays but not showing in Timeline or Storyboard

westdt wrote on 1/7/2020, 11:59 PM

I have Photostory Deluxe V17.1.4.152. In my current project, I have a 6 photo collage. This collage seems to have suddenly disappeared from view in both Timeline and Storyboard, yet still plays in the movie. It also plays in place of the photos that are in that spot. I'd like to remove the collage effect and redo it, but I can't actually see it to do that. Any suggestions please?

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 1/8/2020, 4:17 AM

@westdt

Have you tried playing the project back whilst using the Timeline view and stopping it at the exact point where this phantom collage appears? Then zoom in on the timeline. That should reveal the unwanted item which can then be deleted. In addition, since you say it is playing in place of the photos that are in that spot, don't forget to check whether it is actually still there, but on a lower track, and hence essentially "overwriting" the wanted photos.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker wrote on 1/8/2020, 4:55 AM

@westdt

Hi

In timeline mode you should see something like this when you scroll down the timeline tracks

Note this is a composite image - you cannot get the timeline full screen to see all the tracks at once

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/8/2020, 4:57 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

westdt wrote on 1/8/2020, 6:35 PM

Thankyou both emmrecs and johnebaker for responding. Jeff, I have tried to stop the movie at that exact spot, and even with zooming in, I still can't view that collage that is playing over the other photos. Actually, I've found I have two more similar problem collages in my movie but most are playing as they should. Have also tried moving the photos and songs to different tracks to see if the collage was underneath it somehow with no success. John - I don't have the line x line details showing at all in the tracks. (I used to see that in the Storyboard in my previous version of Photostory, but my current version doesn't seem to have that for any of the many collages in my movie). By 'spacer' , I presume you might mean hit the spacer bar to bring that up, but that just starts the movie playing. Is there another way I could bring up that track x track detail in Storyboard?

browj2 wrote on 1/8/2020, 7:44 PM

@westdt

Hi,

You have to use Timeline mode to see the tracks. Do not use Storyboard mode except for putting together a simple project or moving objects around. As soon as you get into anything more complicated, you have to use Timeline mode or you can't see what you're editing.

Spacer is an object that is put on track 1 by the collage to represent the space required for the collage (duration). The photos are all underneath so you have to scroll down vertically using the right hand scroll bar. There are more tracks available than are shown, so you have to scroll down to see them.

When you click on Spacer, you'll see that all of photos in the collage are grouped with it; they will highlight. Simply delete the spacer and all will disappear. Of course, you will have to reimport your photos.

Movie Edit Pro Plus/Premium have more editing tools available and much more flexibility. PhotoStory is quite limited.

John CB

Last changed by browj2 on 1/8/2020, 7:46 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

westdt wrote on 1/8/2020, 11:53 PM

Hi John, thanks for your further advice. My apologies, I am actually in Timeline view (forgot that when the screen shows 'Storyboard' on the RH side that's what you can switch to, not the viewing mode you are in).

This screenshot is the view I am seeing in Timeline view - I can see all the 8 individual tracks. None of the collage details (as per your screenshot) are appearing in any of the 8 tracks as I scroll down through. This is the case for both collages that work correctly and the ones that are not. When I click on the collage spacer, it doesn't then bring up the collage details (have tried,left,right and double-clicks). I still cannot see in Timeline view the problem collages at all, even when I zoom right in.

I've been using Photostory for few years now and haven't struck this issue previously.

johnebaker wrote on 1/9/2020, 4:52 AM

@westdt

HI

Unfortunately your screen shot is barely legible even when viewed at full size.

I can see from the Preview monitor that there is indeed a collage present, and the timeline cursor is on a single image.

What happens to the collage when you delete the single image where the timeline cursor is?

Is the collage that is visible in another part of the timeline?

Taking screen shots

To take a screen shot without resorting to a mobile device do the following with the window you want to take the shot of open:

1. Press the print screen button - it will be labelled PrtSC, PrtScn or something similar - note you may also need to hold down the Fn button depending on how your laptop function keys - top row of the keyboard, are set up
  2. Open any image editing program you have - if none then use Windows Paint it should be installed on your laptop
  3. Select Edit, Paste or press Ctrl + V
  4. Save the image as a jpg.

Upload the saved image to the forum.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

westdt wrote on 1/9/2020, 7:57 PM

Thanks John. I have tried removing a single photo and then 3 to 4 photos that are where the collage is playing over them. All that seems to do is move the collage along to the next photo and plays over that. The collage is not visible anywhere in the Timeline.

johnebaker wrote on 1/10/2020, 7:37 AM

@westdt

Hi

I think have ghost collages in the system - try the following:

1. With the project loaded select File, Manage slideshow, Export slideshow file give the export a name and note where it is saved to.

2. Start a new empty project, remove the empty timeline by clicking the X on its tab, see image below, and confirm removal.

3. Select File, Manage slideshow, Import slideshow file and import the saved file from step 1

4. Save the project with a new name.

This should remove the ghost collage(s)

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 1/10/2020, 7:38 AM, changed a total of 1 times.