Change Directory Path

DennisS58 wrote on 1/30/2019, 9:18 PM

My C: drive is full now......

I loaded Acid Pro 8 and then I downloaded the plug ins along with the free loops and I'm running out of space. I have a SSD for my operating system and the default for Acid Pro is to download on the C: drive. Can I move the directory with the plug ins to another hard drive on my computer? I may have to get a larger SSD if I can't.

Comments

AkelixE wrote on 1/31/2019, 9:22 PM

Hello!

I helped a friend with something similar. Took us some time to dig around and find it, but this might help you out too!

There's a small button in the upper right corner of the plug-in manager, "Configure VST," click that!

You'll have this window pop up showing you the locations where Acid looks for plug-ins.
You should be able to move your data to another drive, edit the locations in this window and be good to go.
I can't remember if we forced a rebuild. I want to say we did. If Acid doesn't recognize the plug-ins after a restart, I say rebuild it. Someone please chime in if I'm wrong.

I didn't play around with the free loops though, I don't know where those are stored. I use the explorer tab that's next to the plug-in manager to point to a second hard drive that stores all my loops and samples.

I hope this helps!

johnebaker wrote on 2/1/2019, 4:44 AM

@DennisS58

Hi

. . . . My C: drive is full now...... . . . .

That is not good - for an SSD drive you should have at least 25% free space (for HDD drives the free space can be lower - 15% is generally considered the minimum) to allow Windows and programs to run correctly.

If you cannot get this amount of free space the I would recommend you either:

1. get a bigger SSD drive.

OR:

2. install a second hard drive ( minimum 1TB preferably bigger) and re-install your programs to this drive and move your Documents folder to the second drive, leaving the SSD drive for Windows only and the few parts of programs that must be installed on the system drive.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

DennisS58 wrote on 2/1/2019, 8:53 AM

Hi John. I have 2 other drives on my system . I have no problem uninstalling Acid Pro on C and then moving it to another hard drive . I wasn't sure the program would allow me to install it on any other drive than C: Can I install it on another drive? I have a 6TB drive that has plenty of room . Will Acid run faster on the SSD Card? I have an i7 processor but I'm a bit concerned that when I get up and started.. I'm wondering if I will be taxing my system. I still may get a larger SSD card. Any suggestions and direction would be appreciated. I've mentioned on another post that I'm a 60 year old Newbie to recording in the box.

shgrude wrote on 2/1/2019, 9:37 AM

@DennisS58

Here is a link with instructions on how to move the entire C:\USERS directory to another drive.
I used it myself to relocate, and it works. I have not had any issues with any Magix software having followed the instruction. Nor other software.

Do, however, read carefully and note any warnings of making backups, install media etc.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-move-users-folder-location-windows-10-a.html

Despite following the procedure, some C:\Users\Public content remains.

Last changed by shgrude on 2/1/2019, 9:39 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bits) OS 19041.450 (2004)
Memory: 64GB
Sound Card: NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 1920x1080 6GB

DennisS58 wrote on 2/1/2019, 9:49 AM

@shgrude

I did not know you could do that..but it looks scary to me :) I'm hoping I can move the plug in folder only.

I DO see the advantage of this ...but again... it looks scary . If I can't move the plug in folder or the whole

Acid program ... I will get a larger SSD card. Thanks for responding.

sheppo wrote on 2/1/2019, 12:08 PM

Things will definitely load quicker when installed on the SSD, so if this was me I would first try cleaning up the C: drive as much as possible. Windows 10 has a thing called Storage Sense, that should help you identify where the space is being taken up, common things like desktop, download directory, one drive, etc. It also allows you to change the default location for things like desktops, through the UI, which is a bit friendlier, as well as moving large system files like the hibernate file to a new drive, or set the system restore size.

You can find Storage Sense by hitting start, and typing storage sense.

You can also try Disk Cleanup, which I think cleans up a couple other things that storage sense does not. Hit start, type Disk Clean-up, it should pop up and ask you about which drive to check, hit c: When it pops up, hit clean up system files, which will require admin rights. Most things it comes back with suggestions for are okay to click, obviously you might not want it to delete all your downloads folder. One that can get pretty large is the Windows Update Clean-up. That is perfectly safe to clean.

AkelixE wrote on 2/2/2019, 10:33 AM

Hi John. I have 2 other drives on my system . I have no problem uninstalling Acid Pro on C and then moving it to another hard drive . I wasn't sure the program would allow me to install it on any other drive than C: Can I install it on another drive? I have a 6TB drive that has plenty of room . Will Acid run faster on the SSD Card? I have an i7 processor but I'm a bit concerned that when I get up and started.. I'm wondering if I will be taxing my system. I still may get a larger SSD card. Any suggestions and direction would be appreciated. I've mentioned on another post that I'm a 60 year old Newbie to recording in the box.

@DennisS58
The one thing to keep in mind is the read/write speeds of the secondary drive installed on your machine.
SSD will always be significantly faster than a mechanical HDD for their transfer speeds. The most noticeable benefit is the decrease in time it takes to launch ACID and load plug-ins, projects, (large) samples, etc. Moving ACID to a larger, but slower drive, could be enough to make you want to switch back to the SSD.

In terms of performance and taxing your system, it should be fine. Where you store your files and what you store them on is mostly going to involve how quickly you can access those files. Anything else you run into will likely be due to other factors (RAM, Processor, Drivers, Interface, WIndows Configurations, Full Hard Drive, etc...).

I say go with sheppo's suggestions first to see if you can free up enough space first before making any moves. If you still are low on space, offload what you can to the larger drive for the time being.
This is a personal preference, but if you were to move your ACID files to a second drive, I'd invest in an SSD to be that second drive as well. 💪

DennisS58 wrote on 2/2/2019, 5:11 PM

Thank you all for your input . I decided to get a larger SSD card . The Samsung 860 EVO 1T was on sale for $149 so that seemed like the best way to go. I was already running so close to 80% capacity on my C: drive as it was. I did get a look from my wife :) when I told her the good news of my purchase. I'm thinking I will wait a while before I tell her it might be wise to upgrade the processor :) Wish me luck. Thanks again everyone.

johnebaker wrote on 2/2/2019, 6:14 PM

@DennisS58

. . . .I did get a look from my wife :) when I told her the good news of my purchase. I'm thinking I will wait a while before I tell her it might be wise to upgrade the processor :) . . . .

Unfortunately I do not think we can help there 😰.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Walt-Thayer wrote on 12/31/2022, 8:27 PM

This blog isn't true in my case, I have 3.5tb free disk space and I got the same error message. I also have 2 other 6tb drives one is almost full like 600gb free whereas the other has 4.7tb free