Cannot Publish Website

BeanPole wrote on 11/21/2013, 3:52 PM

Oh, please help! 

I went onto Magix to register domain name, but it kept aborting at the last step.  

Then I tried to just publish my website (Use Xara Designer Pro X9), and it said "Free Hosting Options" were not activated for my account.  

Then I went to Magix control center to My Services page and could not find an activate button.  

Finally, I went to contact help, and they said I do not have any products registered to Magix and I could not submit a ticket. 

So I click on the link and could not find a place to register my product.  (My product is Xara Designer ProX9)

Besides, I already "registered" it when I bought it.

So, what do I need to do to buy a domain name, and publish my website?

(Sorry, I'm really new at this)

Comments

BeanPole wrote on 11/21/2013, 4:11 PM

Magix hosts websites doesn't it?  

So I am trying to publish my Xara Website from Xara to Magix. 

gandjcarr wrote on 11/21/2013, 4:11 PM

Hi,

Please disregard the answer posted by Storychoice102.  He or she is acting in a very inappropriate way on this forum.  Did you log in to your Magix account using the same email address that you used when you purchased the software?  In addition, I am a avid Magix product user, but I would not buy or host a domain with Magix.  They do not have the experience or support for this type of use.  Go to someone like GoDaddy or Domains Priced right, download a FTP client like FileZilla (which is free) and use that service to host and upload your web site.

JMO George

BeanPole wrote on 11/21/2013, 4:17 PM

JMO George,

Thank you!  I already have a website at Yola (I created it there before I bought Xara).  

Perhaps I could upload to Yola instead of Magix.

Would you recommend Yola, or is FileZilla perhaps better (cheaper)?

Thank you so much!

gandjcarr wrote on 11/21/2013, 4:24 PM

Hi,

I have never used Yola before, so I have no idea how good it is.  I publish web sites for a living and have always used filezilla to do my FTP work and Godaddy to host my accounts.  It is really just drag and drop, pretty fast and free.

I hope this helps,

George

ps.  By the way, I love the Xara product for creating web sites, it has saved me a lot of time.  My use of the acronym JMO really means "just my opinion".

BeanPole wrote on 11/21/2013, 7:06 PM

George,

Can I please ask one more question?   I downloaded FileZilla Client, and to set it up I need a Host name, User Name and password.  I am not sure where I get this information. 

Is not FileZilla the Host for the website?

Or are they referring to my internet provider?

Thank you so much for all your help.

gandjcarr wrote on 11/22/2013, 5:19 AM

Hi,

Filezilla is the software you use to upload the site to your hosting account.  So you will need your user name and password for the host account.  once you have entered this into filezilla, you just need to use the quick connect drop down menu to go back to the host account.

Good Luck,

George

BeanPole wrote on 11/22/2013, 8:33 AM

Well, I can upload directly from Xara anyway, so it sounds like I don't even need Filezilla.  

So, who is my hosting account?  Who do you use?  

Would GoDaddy be my hosting account?  Is this automatic because I bought a domain name through them? Or is this another service I need to subscribe to?

johnebaker wrote on 11/23/2013, 3:14 AM

Hi

. . . . Would GoDaddy be my hosting account?  Is this automatic because I bought a domain name through them? Or is this another service I need to subscribe to? . . . .

That depends on what you have purchased.

See this article for an explanation.  Hopefully this will clarify the issue for you.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 11/23/2013, 3:14 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

BeanPole wrote on 11/27/2013, 6:30 PM

Thank you to all for your help.  I did end up getting a hosting package from GoDaddy. They did have excellent telephone support.  Now my website is up and running.

Thanks again