Can I open and run a Magix Photostory 9 slideshow created on my desktop pc from a notebook using wi-fi?

jonmewett wrote on 3/7/2013, 11:51 AM

Is it possible to open a slideshow from another computer other than the one the slideshow was created on? i.e. a notebook over wi-fi when the project and photos are stored on a desktop pc? The filepaths to the photos are all referencing the local drive on the desktop c:\ etc so the notebook cannot find the photos or open the slideshow where what I need is a computer name or shared directory to refere3nce the photos or import them directly? Both computers are running Windows 7 Home. Any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks

Comments

johnebaker wrote on 3/7/2013, 12:42 PM

Hi

Yes with reservations.

First are the project files and photos in a folder on your desktop?

If so then they need moving - it is not recommended to save files on the desktop - this can cause problems - the first being it will slow down the start up of your computer, especially if the are a large quantity of files, the second being that file path lengths can become very long and can cause the accessing pogram to hang or the files will not be readable.

Both computers should be in the same Workgroup/Homegroup and ideally the user account name the same on both machines.

For the purpose of sharing the files with another computer they are better placed in a shared folder on the root of the C drive (if you have only one drive on the computer). This folder should be shared - right click Share with and select the option that contains Read and Write fill in any details required.

On the second computer you need to create a mapped drive to the shared folder on the PC - do not try using a UNC filepath - the permissions used to access this folder may deny access and Photostory may not work correctly.

Reservations:

- Each time you edit the project on the computer you may be asked to point Photostory to the 'missing files' - this will happen every time you switch editing machine.

- Over WiFi you may suffer from lag which may be unacceptable

- You need Photostory installed on both computers.

There is another alternative which again may have issues, and that is to use a program like UltraVNC to remote control the PC from the Notebook - again this may suffer from lag.

HTH

John

Last changed by johnebaker on 3/7/2013, 12:42 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.