Can AVCHD and MPEG4 files be imported into Photostory 8

Theoldboy wrote on 10/20/2009, 3:39 PM
I am interested in purchasing a HD video camera so I can then import individual photos into Magix Photostory on CD and DVD 8

There are 2 video cameras I am looking at however they use different Video Data:
The first video camera is a Sanyo and uses MPEG-4 AVC/H .264 (I have already downloaded the MPEG 4 codec into Photostory) so wondering if these files will then open

The other video camera is a Canon and uses AVCHD 1080 HD
My PC is an HP 8085
Intel Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 2.13Ghz
2gb Ram
NVidia Geforce 7600 GS video card

I have been advised by Canon that my PC is not powerful enough to open AVCHD files from a video camera

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 10/22/2009, 9:26 AM
Hi there,

PhotoStory is definitely not designed for AVCHD editing, or any kind of decent video editing, especially in high definition. MPEG-4 file import (as in actual *.MP4 files) will be possible after activating the required codec, but I assume that camera is also HD, meaning it's not a good idea.

Here's my recommendation: If you need to pick between those two cameras, go for the AVCHD one, which is at least a proper, solid standard. The whole variety of non-AVCHD high resolution MPEG-4 cams seems a little sketchy to me. Then, switch from PhotoStory to Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus (or Video Pro X) to have a software that properly supports AVCHD editing.

Regarding the specification of your system and the ability to edit AVCHD, that's a different story. Yeah, they do fall short of the recommendations given on the Movie Edit Pro info page (click on "System requirements" on the following URL), but I've also test-edited AVCHD footage on a dual core system that is much less powerful than what is suggested there. As long as you're happy with only one single track...

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/plus/

ralftaro wrote on 10/29/2009, 5:49 AM
Hello David,

If you go for the full version of Movie Edit Pro 15 Plus, you will get way more effects than you can see right now in your unactivated trial version. If you go for the disc version, they will be installed from the disc and if you choose to activate the download version, the option to download additional content packages will show up in the "Help" menu upon activation and enable you to download and install the additional software content (effects, templates, DVD menu layouts and so on).