burning DVD - not recognized by DVD player

neelynet wrote on 6/8/2017, 10:47 AM

I have created a file using Photostory Deluxe 2017. I have burned the file to DVD using several methods. I burned directly from Photostory (which took at least 3 hours - it is a 35 minute video.) I also saved an iso file twice (this took at least 4-5 hours) and burned that to DVD several times using the software Imgburn. I have used two different types of DVDs (not Bluray.) The file will play on my computer in Media Player, but when I put the DVDs into my DVD player, I get a message saying "Cannot play this disc. The video format of the disc does not meet required video output format of this product." And I have tried two DVD players without success. I have updated the Photostory software and burn routines. AND ... I just tried burning an old file using Photostory 2013 (still on my computer,) and it worked just fine. I am using Windows 10, 64 bit. I am using an external DVD burner. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Comments

neelynet wrote on 6/8/2017, 11:10 AM

update ... I am still trying to narrow down where the problem lies. I just took an old file created in Photostory 2013 and opened it in 2017. I burnt that file to disc and it played just fine in my DVD player. It seems that the problem lies within my new file? (But I still don't know how to fix it.)

neelynet wrote on 6/12/2017, 3:20 PM

Any suggestions?

emmrecs wrote on 6/13/2017, 5:28 AM

Hi.

I'm sorry you have received no replies to your posts; I suspect this is because none of us has experienced this and the various steps you have tried would be the typical things we would suggest.

However, perhaps we need to dig a little deeper. First, can you look at this post https://www.magix.info/us/forum/please-do-the-following-before-posting-your-question--621831/ and supply ALL the information requested there?

Second, the length of time you state as being taken for both iso and DVD exports does seem rather excessive, so we need to know a lot about the actual images you are using, how many there are and what effects/transitions etc. you may be applying on the timeline. Assuming you have a reasonably "fast" computer and are using only a few, if any processor-intensive effects, I would hope exporting would not take much longer than about twice real-time, i.e. about 70 - 80 minutes for a 35 minute video.

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/13/2017, 5:29 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

neelynet wrote on 6/13/2017, 9:56 AM

Thank you for your reply - here is more information based on the link you sent me ...

- I am using Photostory Deluxe 2017 version 16.1.3.61, I have updated everything I could find which includes the update within the software and burn routines online. I couldn't find anything else. (Am I missing anything?)

-My computer ...

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description     Not Available
System Manufacturer    LENOVO
System Model    20289
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2601 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    LENOVO 7CCN58WW, 5/30/2014
SMBIOS Version    2.8
Embedded Controller Version    1.52
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    LENOVO
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.92 GB
Available Physical Memory    3.77 GB
Total Virtual Memory    19.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory    15.0 GB

Anything else you need regarding my system?

- The file has over 500 photos and about 5 short video files (less than 1 minute each), 17 songs, and some text throughout the slideshow. I did use effects (mostly pan and zoom), transitions are mostly crossfade, but I did use a variety of other transitions. I have several picture-in-picture collages. I am not using any menus (I unchecked the options for Intro video, film menu, preview images, numbering and border.) I am attaching a picture of the options I chose for saving an iso file.

- I also tried resetting all slides and deleting effects, and I was able to save an iso file (much quicker - about 13 minutes) and burn to DVD. However, it still did not play on the DVD player.

- I also emailed MAGIX tech support and they told me "Please make sure to set your software to burn in NTSC format instead of PAL. In order to do so please enter your authoring menu, enter the encoder settings and select the Standard DVD NTSC preset from the drop down list of presets." I was already using this setting when burning from the software, and it obviously would not effect the iso file anyway. No help there.

Thank you again for your help!

emmrecs wrote on 6/13/2017, 10:21 AM

Hi again.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply; I wish all posters here were as thorough!

There's nothing in your specs to suggest any obvious reason for your problems. However, it would be useful to know the size and type of your harddrive and how much free space it has. I also think the amount of RAM you have installed is adequate, without being generous.

Your mention of NTSC suggests you are in the US; is that correct?

The screenshot of your burning screen shows that your total project size on disc will be considerably less than 2GB so a 13 minute export seems entirely correct. But the resulting iso file, when burned to disc, still will not play? Can I just check exactly how you are setting things in ImgBurn in order to create the DVD? On the ImgBurn home screen, I assume you are selecting the option to "Write Image file to disc" as in this screenshot?

If so, and the resulting DVD still does not play I'd like to have a look at the contents of that iso file. Such files are actually zipped containers and can be easily unzipped with utilities like Winzip or the free 7Zip. If you do unzip the .iso file you should see a folder called Video_TS and if you open that folder you should see a series of files which will look something like this:

These ifo , vob etc. files are what your DVD player will expect to see. Can you post a screenshot of what is in your unzipped iso file?

Jeff

Last changed by emmrecs on 6/13/2017, 10:22 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

neelynet wrote on 6/13/2017, 12:46 PM

Thank you Jeff,

- My local fixed harddrive (model WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0) has a 931GB capacity, and my free space is 308 GB. I also have an external Verbatim drive, which is where the pictures, videos, photostory file and iso file are stored. This is also 931GB, with 255 GB free.

- Yes, I am in the US.

- When I burn the iso file, it will play on my computer, but not on DVD players? (However, other iso files which I previously created in 2013 and 2017 versions have worked fine.) I am using the "Write Image File to Disc" option like you show in your screenshot. And after burning, the DVD is verified by ImgBurn.

- Here is my unzipped folder ..

I hope this helps!

Linda

neelynet wrote on 6/16/2017, 9:45 AM

If there are no obvious issues, then I guess I will start recreating the slide show in my 2013 version. That was a lot of hours and money wasted on 2017. :-(

johnebaker wrote on 6/16/2017, 11:48 AM

Hi

There is a file missing on the disc VIDEO_TS.IFO without this file the DVD player does not know what to do with the disc.

If the file structure is the same as Movie Edit Pro then you should have a folder called Disc Images, the program settings, Folders tab should tell where this is located.

Inside this the Disc Images folder there should be a folder DVD Image project name inside this you will find the DVD structure, you should have the files listed in your image and a VIDEO_TS.IFO file.

If it is not there then try the burn again and select the following options when asked:

• Encode all

• Rewrite chapter menu and menu information - checked

• Rewrite film menus and navigation structures - checked

This will refresh all the information files, menus and video on the disc image.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

neelynet wrote on 6/16/2017, 3:27 PM

Thank you John. I am trying to save another iso file now using the options that you suggested. Again, this is a 35 minute video. So far, it has been saving for 2 hours and 25 minutes with 1 hour and 20 minutes left to go (however that time remaining keeps increasing, not decreasing!) That just doesn't seem promising! I will write when/if this ever saves to let you know if it burns correctly.

Linda

johnebaker wrote on 6/16/2017, 5:01 PM

Hi

. . . . So far, it has been saving for 2 hours and 25 minutes with 1 hour and 20 minutes left to go (however that time remaining keeps increasing, not decreasing!) That just doesn't seem promising! . . . .

As you are using a laptop what you are seeing should be normal behaviour when they are working under a heavy load such as video rendering - the processor may be stepping its speed down, ie slowing down, to prevent overheating - you can probably feel there is more heat coming out of the vents compared to when you are, for example just browsing the Internet.

Also, if you are rendering to the external USB drive, this will be slower due to the USB speed limitations compared to an internal hard drive.

HTH

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

neelynet wrote on 6/16/2017, 6:17 PM

IT WORKED!! Thank you very much for your help! The iso took a very long time to save, but now I am able to burn the 16 DVDs fairly quickly! I appreciate the time you took to respond to my problem, Jeff and John!

Linda

johnebaker wrote on 6/17/2017, 3:51 AM

Hi

Thanks for letting us know.

Happy editing

John EB

kim-c wrote on 12/7/2018, 1:24 AM

The DVD player cannot play this disc,i suspect something is wrong with the burner,burning to a new disk with other burner .in general, the DVD player can pay it as long as all goes well .

You'd better try using other burner .

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

https://www.iseepassword.com/iso-burner.html

https://isoburn.org/

emmrecs wrote on 12/7/2018, 4:10 AM

@kim-c

You have responded to a thread which was last posted to in June 2017. Although your post is clearly linked to the subject of the thread it would be far better to start a new thread with your question, ensuring you include ALL the information requested in this post.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Edwin-Wager wrote on 12/30/2018, 12:56 PM

Try changing the encoder setting in the burn menu to”standard DVD NTSC”. The default setting is for European DVD players and will not create disks readable on DVD players sold in the US

Walt

johnebaker wrote on 12/30/2018, 1:21 PM

@Edwin-Wager

Hi

Did you not see that this old post has the solution to the issue the OP was having.

John EB

Forum Moderator

Edwin-Wager wrote on 12/30/2018, 7:29 PM

The problem I had burning the DVD was because the default encoder setting was not appropriate for customers in th US. Programs sold to customers in the US should have a different default for the encoder setting. It is quite upsetting to spend a lot of time putting together a slideshow only to find out that DVD players cannot play the program. It is a simple fix if you know about the cause. The instruction PDF should address this.

Walt

emmrecs wrote on 12/31/2018, 3:33 AM

@Edwin-Wager

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the "average user" to fully explore the Program settings (shortcut Y) options when first installing the program.

One of those options tabs shows this:

Notice the area I have highlighted. That is where you set the program to produce discs suitable for whichever video format you need; once set, you will never need to think about changes on the Export menu. Unless, of course, you ever need to export a disc in the "other" format.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

johnebaker wrote on 12/31/2018, 9:59 AM

@Edwin-Wager

Hi

. . . . the default encoder setting was not appropriate for customers in th US . . . .

Unfortunately that is not related to the problem the OP was having - issue was that there was a file missing from the very first line of the solution:

There is a file missing on the disc VIDEO_TS.IFO without this file the DVD player does not know what to do with the disc.

Although off topic - the answer to your issue is to select the TV standard you require from the drop down in the DVD burn menu Advanced options - see image below - this works irrespective of whether the video on the timeline is PAL or NTSC or the program settings.

HTH

John EB

Forum Moderator