Burned DVD plays 16:9 in computer but looks squeezed on TV

EdMatzenik wrote on 9/14/2009, 10:38 PM
I have no problem editing 16:9 DV AVI and it plays back well in my computer.   A burned disc also plays good in the computer, but through my DVD player and TV it plays back squeezed.  Store-bought 16:9 DVDs play back letterboxed on the same DVD/TV set-up.

I am using MEP 10 - old fashioned, I know, but it does everything else fine. Thanks to anyone who can help.  

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 9/16/2009, 5:39 AM
Hi there,

I'd definitely double-check the aspect ratio setting in the MPEG encoder settings which you can access from the final burning dialog. They need to be on 16:9, so the aspect ratio flag is set correctly on the burned DVD. Your project may be set to 16:9 and you're editing with a 16:9 preview screen, but maybe the setting isn't passed through correctly to the MPEG-2 encoder, thus setting a 4:3 flag. Not sure why the program on your computer would play it back correctly. Have you manually adjusted that to display a 16:9 window? Or maybe the problem just doesn't become as apparent on the computer screen, because the playback window doesn't fill your entire screen?

I hope this helps.