Audio sample is added automatically--annoying

Former user wrote on 1/14/2020, 12:16 AM

I love Acid and trying to get used to the new version and dark to extremely lit GUI. If engineers read this, please add an option to turn off "automatic" addition of a sample when double clicked in explorer. I hope it makes sense. It is extremely annoying. I wonder who thought that was a great idea.

Also, anyway to have the Acid 7 GUI back? It was easy on the eyes and less cluttered.

Comments

jocker-boy wrote on 1/14/2020, 3:15 AM

Hi

You can run the GUI with Acid Pro 7 in the settings

Options>Preferences>Display= Dark or Light choice

Former user wrote on 1/14/2020, 4:39 AM

Hi

thanks for replying. but as I mentioned originally "....new version and dark to extremely lit GUI", where you suggested, its still not the same as version 7. Its almost as if the dark GUI was inverted. Not sure if that makes any sense.

But more than that, that "auto load" of samples is way more annoying at the moment among other things. I wish there was an option to turn that off.

Rednroll wrote on 1/16/2020, 9:57 AM

Hi

thanks for replying. but as I mentioned originally "....new version and dark to extremely lit GUI", where you suggested, its still not the same as version 7. Its almost as if the dark GUI was inverted. Not sure if that makes any sense.

But more than that, that "auto load" of samples is way more annoying at the moment among other things. I wish there was an option to turn that off.

I'm totally onboard with you with the GUI color selection. They went from extremely dark to an almost too bright color selection option. I do however appreciate the light, it is much better for my eyes than the dark.

One of the things I'm majorly disappointed with since Magix has taken over the development of Vegas Pro, Acid Pro and Sound Forge Pro is the lack of commonality that has been lost as they started creating revised versions of these apps. This is something that Sonic Foundry and Sony made a very conscience effort to ensure commonality between these apps. So for instance in regards to color themes, current Magix versions of Vegas Pro and Sound Forge each have 4 different level options from dark to light of their themes to choose from, yet with the new versions of Acid Pro they initially provided a dark only theme and later added the extremely light option where my eyes prefer the options that are typically in between. So when I fire up Sound Forge or Vegas, the look and feel is very similar and now Acid looks like it has jumped the shark and has been kicked out of the family. Sound Forge, Vegas and Acid also have common functionalities such as their explorer window views, plugin manager views, yet ever since Magix has taken over development, I have noticed these once common views that functioned and looked very similar, are becoming very different from each other. Assigning plugin locations are different in Acid than in Vegas and Sound Forge. There are many things I am seeing becoming different about each of these apps and not in a good way. This all tells me that Magix needs a project lead that oversees the suite of the acquired Sony products to ensure things are implemented in a common direction, but it's becoming obvious that their different development teams assigned to each of the products, the right hand is not talking to the left.

I'm uncertain of what you're describing with the "auto load" when double clicking on a sample. Are you talking about the double clicking behavior when viewing audio files through the explorer window? If so there is a double click option under the preferences to have it load into the chopper window instead of the track view and that is a common preference setting in Vegas and Acid, except in Vegas it's the trimmer window and in Acid it's the Chopper.

Former user wrote on 1/16/2020, 9:35 PM

Hey Rednroll, I agree with your post. Unfortunately, it seems Magix too is back on the same bandwagon Sony was. I tried coming back to Acid multiple times but its just not doing it for me. Far too many issues. Whats unfortunate with Magix is that the personnel isn't very friendly either. I read on another post few months back how Sheppo responded to a genuine complaint. I mean we are paying customers, paid additional for an update which didn't offer much. I have basically all version starting from Acid Pro 1 and its a shame that I could never fully go back to it after version 7. I just wish they worked on fixing that instead of churning out version after version.

Now, back to the issue, I meant by Auto Load was this, when you double click a sound from the explorer, it loads a new track onto the arrangement ready to be painted (greatest feature which no other DAW has to date), but now, when you double click a sound, it loads that very sound onto the track's beginning (a 4 bar loop or one shot). Please try this and you will know what I mean. Acid was the only DAW that had auto track creating when double clicking on a sound but guys at Magix sort of ruined that, too.

I am only here writing because I paid for version 8 and 9. Of course you can't get refunds. So I am stuck with these and all my work is done in Ableton. I have been back to Ableton Live 10 for a while now. I left Sony Acid 7 when it started crashing on a new system.

Anyway, what a bummer, eh.

johnebaker wrote on 1/17/2020, 12:44 PM

@Former user

Hi

. . . . I read on another post few months back how Sheppo responded to a genuine complaint. I mean we are paying customers, paid additional for an update which didn't offer much. . . . .

Please note this is a user to user forum not Magix Support.

The forum is for users of Magix software to interact with each other, helping each other with issues where these have been encountered, how to use the software etc.

@sheppo is a Moderator of the forum like myself. We are not employed by Magix and donate our time freely to help others in any way we can.

John EB

Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

sheppo wrote on 1/17/2020, 1:25 PM

I read on another post few months back how Sheppo responded to a genuine complaint

the one time i called someone out not for what they were complaining about, but the way they were complaining?

that’s what a moderator does.

you dont see the times in the background myself and other volunteering moderators are liaising with developers and feeding back genuine concerns. I am not sure that the community’s lack of insight in to that means we should be demonised, but maybe that means we aren’t fulfilling the role adequately?

Rednroll wrote on 1/17/2020, 4:34 PM

Now, back to the issue, I meant by Auto Load was this, when you double click a sound from the explorer, it loads a new track onto the arrangement ready to be painted (greatest feature which no other DAW has to date), but now, when you double click a sound, it loads that very sound onto the track's beginning (a 4 bar loop or one shot). Please try this and you will know what I mean. Acid was the only DAW that had auto track creating when double clicking on a sound but guys at Magix sort of ruined that, too.

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I'm currently just setting up my system with AP Next and am not quite at the level of seeing what Magix has done. Now that I look at it and tried it out, I noticed the double click to load in chopper in the preference settings is no longer there as well. The drag from explorer onto the track fader section which is the way I typically add loop works the same as you described, where it auto loads the loop onto the track timeline as well, so that isn't a work around either.

It seems like someone who didn't quite understand the original Acid paradigm, created this new behavior with the thought they were saving us a step but in doing so, they actually created more steps since the most often use case is that you add a loop to a track and then start painting that loop into your song arrangement at different sections other than the beginning, such as the verse/chorus/bridge....which are not in the intro beginning section of the song...LOL! So now if you actually intended to have a loop come in at the chorus, etc you 1st need to scroll back to the beginning of the song to delete the loop that was auto loaded onto the track at the beginning of the song. Good grief! Thanks for the heads up, that would have frustrated me as well. No longer seeing the double click to load in chopper is annoying also.

Former user wrote on 1/18/2020, 4:59 AM

hey rednroll, yes, you got what I was talking about. Acid was the only DAW that I knew of that had pick and paint feature. and you said it correctly, "add a loop to a track and then start painting that loop into your song arrangement at different sections other than the beginning, such as the verse/chorus/bridge....which are not in the intro beginning section of the song"

I started a song from scratch to give Acid another try, overlooking the awful new skins, just that auto load killed it for me. I scratched the song and went back to Ableton. I think this time for good. And yes, I think Acid is buried forever. I just wish Sonic Foundry never gave it up or Acid could have turned into something way bigger for them.

I am glad you agreed.

Former user wrote on 1/18/2020, 2:51 PM

I love Acid and trying to get used to the new version and dark to extremely lit GUI. If engineers read this, please add an option to turn off "automatic" addition of a sample when double clicked in explorer. I hope it makes sense. It is extremely annoying. I wonder who thought that was a great idea.

Also, anyway to have the Acid 7 GUI back? It was easy on the eyes and less cluttered.

GUI colors have been addressed by other poster, but two things:

1. In a dark viewing environment, the light GUI is absolutely not "easy on the eyes" (and was absolutely blinding), and can help exacerbate eye strain. Many people produce/work in dim rooms, which is why most DAWs and creative software (like video editors) are moving to darker default UIs. There is an option to go to a light UI, if you prefer that.

2. UI color has literally nothing to do with UI clutter, so that comment makes zero sense.

Former user wrote on 1/18/2020, 3:34 PM

Hi

I'm totally onboard with you with the GUI color selection. They went from extremely dark to an almost too bright color selection option. I do however appreciate the light, it is much better for my eyes than the dark.

One of the things I'm majorly disappointed with since Magix has taken over the development of Vegas Pro, Acid Pro and Sound Forge Pro is the lack of commonality that has been lost as they started creating revised versions of these apps. This is something that Sonic Foundry and Sony made a very conscience effort to ensure commonality between these apps. So for instance in regards to color themes, current Magix versions of Vegas Pro and Sound Forge each have 4 different level options from dark to light of their themes to choose from, yet with the new versions of Acid Pro they initially provided a dark only theme and later added the extremely light option where my eyes prefer the options that are typically in between. So when I fire up Sound Forge or Vegas, the look and feel is very similar and now Acid looks like it has jumped the shark and has been kicked out of the family. Sound Forge, Vegas and Acid also have common functionalities such as their explorer window views, plugin manager views, yet ever since Magix has taken over development, I have noticed these once common views that functioned and looked very similar, are becoming very different from each other. Assigning plugin locations are different in Acid than in Vegas and Sound Forge. There are many things I am seeing becoming different about each of these apps and not in a good way. This all tells me that Magix needs a project lead that oversees the suite of the acquired Sony products to ensure things are implemented in a common direction, but it's becoming obvious that their different development teams assigned to each of the products, the right hand is not talking to the left.

I'm uncertain of what you're describing with the "auto load" when double clicking on a sample. Are you talking about the double clicking behavior when viewing audio files through the explorer window? If so there is a double click option under the preferences to have it load into the chopper window instead of the track view and that is a common preference setting in Vegas and Acid, except in Vegas it's the trimmer window and in Acid it's the Chopper.

The fact that Vegas and ACID use basically the same UI is a source of a lot of issues in the UI/UX of both applications.

The docking, for example, is pretty terrible due the rigidity with which it was implemented (this is something MAGIX is fixing in their [original] software - e.g. even Music Maker had this "fixed" in the latest version).

Acid, Vegas, and Sound Forge are different applications for different purposes - not a "Suite" of applications. They each need a UI/UX tailored to the markets they target.

So it's actually encouraging that MAGIX is willing to start breaking that mold, and unshackle these applications so that they can develop well for their target user bases.

jocker-boy wrote on 1/18/2020, 5:13 PM

cześć

Możesz uruchomić GUI z Acid Pro 7 w ustawieniach

Opcje> Preferencje> Ceny = Ciemny lub Jasny wybór

dzięki za odpowiedź. ale jak wspomniałem pierwotnie „.... nowa wersja i ciemny do bardzo podświetlonego GUI”, gdzie sugerowałeś, wciąż nie jest taki sam jak wersja 7. Jest prawie tak, jakby ciemny GUI został odwrócony. Nie jestem pewien, czy to ma jakiś sens.

Co więcej, „automatyczne ładowanie” ciągnie jest obecnie znacznie bardziej irytujące. Chciałbym, żeby była dostępna możliwość tego.

You can help yourself if the picture is too bright: night mode and brightness settings in Windows.

Rednroll wrote on 1/20/2020, 9:35 AM

Acid, Vegas, and Sound Forge are different applications for different purposes - not a "Suite" of applications. They each need a UI/UX tailored to the markets they target.

So it's actually encouraging that MAGIX is willing to start breaking that mold, and unshackle these applications so that they can develop well for their target user bases.

They were always intended as a suite of products where they are different applications with different fortes in the different areas of multimedia creation. That's the reason they all share common functions which had originally been implemented to be common, so the users which use all 3 applications in their different areas of multimedia creation wouldn't be faced with learning different paradigms, while using apps which have common functions between them. There's a reason that both Acid and Vegas will automatically recognize if Sound Forge is installed on your system and both will then have an "Open in Sound Forge" menu item where audio can be exported, manipulated in SF and imported back into Acid or Vegas easily. If Acid didn't have a similar paradigm and workflow as Vegas, then I would have fully moved to Reaper for music creation a long time ago and if Acid continues down this path of moving away from that commonality between them, then I no longer have a good reason to stick with using Acid Pro if I'm going to be forced into learning new and different paradigms. Reaper is the better music creation app at this time over Acid aside from Acid having a similar GUI and workflow as Vegas and Sound Forge. Reaper costs less, is better supported in fixing problems with much more frequent updates which includes additional features and fixes.

So yeah, go ahead and break the mold if the goal is to push away customers who use that suite of apps for the commonality between them. Acid is no longer a leader in any area of being a music creation DAW tool and they would only be pushing users towards the other apps which are. The OP has been pushed towards Albeton Live while preferring to work with Acid, where I feel like I am being pushed towards Reaper with these changes which have provided nothing other than working differently than what we have grown accustom. Jump the shark and get eaten by the other sharks.

This would also be the dumbest thing to do in regards to development resource management where if you have 3 apps with common functions between them, that you wouldn't be sharing code between them to reduce your overall development efforts but instead having similar apps and having different developers working on them and recreating the same functions in different manners.

Former user wrote on 1/21/2020, 11:19 AM

They were always intended as a suite of products where they are different applications with different fortes in the different areas of multimedia creation. (1) That's the reason they all share common functions which had originally been implemented to be common, so the users which use all 3 applications in their different areas of multimedia creation wouldn't be faced with learning different paradigms, while using apps which have common functions between them. (2) There's a reason that both Acid and Vegas will automatically recognize if Sound Forge is installed on your system and both will then have an "Open in Sound Forge" menu item where audio can be exported, manipulated in SF and imported back into Acid or Vegas easily. (3) If Acid didn't have a similar paradigm and workflow as Vegas, then I would have fully moved to Reaper for music creation a long time ago and if Acid continues down this path of moving away from that commonality between them, then I no longer have a good reason to stick with using Acid Pro if I'm going to be forced into learning new and different paradigms. Reaper is the better music creation app at this time over Acid aside from Acid having a similar GUI and workflow as Vegas and Sound Forge. (4) Reaper costs less, is better supported in fixing problems with much more frequent updates which includes additional features and fixes.

(5) So yeah, go ahead and break the mold if the goal is to push away customers who use that suite of apps for the commonality between them. Acid is no longer a leader in any area of being a music creation DAW tool and they would only be pushing users towards the other apps which are. (6) The OP has been pushed towards Albeton Live while preferring to work with Acid, where I feel like I am being pushed towards Reaper with these changes (7) which have provided nothing other than working differently than what we have grown accustom. Jump the shark and get eaten by the other sharks.

(8) This would also be the dumbest thing to do in regards to development resource management where if you have 3 apps with common functions between them, (9) that you wouldn't be sharing code between them to reduce your overall development efforts but instead having similar apps and having different developers working on them and recreating the same functions in different manners.

1. No. Lol. They share common functions because they used the same code base to develop both apps at the early stages of their life. This is why ACID and VEGAS have a UI that functions largely similar, and all of them share the same technologies. This is unspectacular, and rather expected.

As far as learning different paradigms, this was already required, because ACID Pro was a loop arranging DAW that lacked many basic DAW features up until v6 or so, and even in v9 it's quite deficient compared to other DAWs. It's a specific tool for a relatively specific job, comparable to the likes of FL Studio Fruity Edition (except not as good at MIDI).

Also, they are only able to look this similar because of how deficient ACID Pro is vs. other DAWs. If MAGIX tried to fit Samplitude's feature set into ACID Pro, it would necessitate many changes to the UI/UX to accomodate. Both VEGAS and ACID Pro are relatively deficient apps that have evolved relatively slowly in respect to the greater markets in which they play.

2. All DAWs work this way. Cakewalk SONAR automatically detected Sound Forge and added it to the Tools menu to allow you to round-trip, as well. Most DAWs allow integrating an external editor. ACID Pro and VEGAS could do this easily for Sound Forge simply because Sonic Foundry/Sony were the developers and could code in the expected paths for those applications. So it could simply search that path when run and add it, if it existed.

Other DAWs did the exact same thing with Sound Forge Pro, and other vendors do the same thing with their Wave Editors (i.e. Cubase Pro will detect WaveLab).

Integrating external wave editors with NLEs and DAWs is a relatively basic feature, although it is getting less relevant as DAWs become more adept at editing audio (generally speaking). Sound Forge was always most relevant as a Mastering Platform (competing with Steinberg WaveLab, among others).

3. REAPER has been a better DAW than ACID Pro for well over a decade. Forcing yourself to stay on ACID in hopes that it will be as good as REAPER didn't make it any more competitive than it was. There's a reason why Sony stopped developing it. Also, your own comments expose this oxymoron (ref. #5).

4. REAPER costs $225 for Professional Use. So, unless you're wasting money on ACID Pro Next, it costs more - by a considerable margin. $60 REAPER Licenses are for people making poverty wages with the DAW. It's a restricted licenses. Why is everyone talking about REAPER's price as if it's $60 for an unrestricted license?

When Sony sold ACID Pro, it was a $350 purchase... for basically 40% of a DAW - compared to products like Cubase, Pro Tools, Samplitude ... even REAPER.

5. If the commonality between VEGAS and ACID were the reason you stayed on them, then I'm wondering what actual work you do in these applications. There are far more pressing issues. You say, yourself, that REAPER is a better DAW than ACID Pro, yet you stay on it despite it being "cheaper" (for you). Your priorities seem a little warped.

ACID Pro is missing some key features that other DAWs have, which are integral to producing certain genres of music. Even basic things like Side Chaining are missing, so either you have to fake it with a plugin, or mix entirely in another DAW... Another DAW that can easily do what ACID Pro does, and more.

6. Anyone can download Cakewalk by BandLab and have a better DAW. Good DAWs on Windows don't cost any money at all. DAWs like Ableton and FL have features and workflow uniquely targeting specific types of music production and beat making. If you are within those niches, then almost nothing is better - period. People simply don't use Loops the way ACID Pro was designed for, and ACID Pro simply doesn't have the Audio Editing and Manipulation tooling that many producers rely on, anyways... So even if they did, the DAW tooling would be seen as deficient by most.

7. That's hard to take seriously when the feature disparity between ACID Pro and REAPER is wider than the Pacific Ocean, and ACID Pro is missing basic features that are widely used in the production industry.

8. No, it would be smart. If MAGIX can only sell ACID Pro in decent numbers when it's on Humble Bundle or some $19.99 B&H Super Deal, they won't be able to decently fund development. This also means that it will hurt you, as you will continue to fall further and further behind competitors in the music production industry. Software should have a UI/UX optimized for the target audience. The people who do the majority of their work using that tool.

Professionals generally aren't editing video one minute, and then producing music the next. Multiplier isn't Assistant Editor for the next Avengers movie... They produce music all day. How close ACID is to VEGAS Pro is not a concern to these people. You're completely overrating these supposed similarities, and using them as impetus to irrationally lock yourself into an inferior product (in your words).

9. They can share all the code they want, but the User Experience for each application has to reflect its purpose and target market. If you try to make your NLE too much like a DAW, or vice versa, then this creates issues for users of both applications.

Everything bad can seem good with enough exposure to it, so saying you don't have a problem with it is not really convincing. What's most convincing are the market tendencies towards ACID Pro, and people's willingness to buy it for any price above "almost free."

I find it educating that most complaints about ACID Pro on this forum have absolutely nothing to do with the function and capabilities of the application (beyond the expected "omg so buggy" post that has become cliche here). It's about stuff that, frankly, shouldn't even matter.

If Sony had actually kept developing these applications decently, it's likely they would look drastically different than they do today - and more dissimilar from each other than ever.

This will never happen under MAGIX. They don't even do that kind of work on their own expensive software titles.

Rednroll wrote on 1/21/2020, 2:04 PM

You seem to wander and talk a lot. I already outlined I know the different fortes of the different programs and you ramble on about that while ignoring I've been describing the similar functions between them all along. These apps maintaining similarities does not stop them from expanding. I'm pretty certain common functioning explorer window views, sound card setups, plugin setups, and preference settings has not stopped them from moving forward. You talk about how "professionals" work and the tools they use. I don't care, I've witnessed those my penis is bigger than yours conversations many times over the years, they don't impress me and I'm really not interested in those type of conversations and your associated speculation assumptions.

For me it's simple, I've worked in "professional" studios and it isn't about the tools you use or the workflow you choose. It never has been. I'm at a point in my life that I'm tired of jumping ships to learn a new way to work only to further discover their short-comings along the way. I don't care if there's a hammer available that has led lights on it, chromium finish and made of a new light weight rare earth allow metals and I definitely don't give a damn if Steven Spielsberg is producing the next Star Wars movie and associated music score with it. Those new tools don't make me a better or more "professional" carpenter if I'm not able to work more efficiently with them and with less frustrations along the way than I am with a good ole fashion, no frills hammer and build a house just as well as the other guy with the new frills hammer. I work with Acid and Vegas because I can go to work and not have to spend an additional 30 minutes each time I fire them up digging through different menu layouts and scratching my head trying to do a simple task for something I already know how to accomplish in Acid or Vegas and I don't care to change that so Acid can start looking like the star ship enterprise. You don't have to tell me the history of Vegas, Acid and Sound Forge from Sonic Foundry to Sony, to Magix and act like the rest of us are clueless about that history. I've been using them since their initial releases. You can go find my username on the Sony/Sonic Foundry forums going back to the 1990s if you're really insterested.

I'm glad you seem to have everything all figured out and know how "professionals" work and the future roadmap Magix has chosen with these apps. However, most of it just sounds like a bunch of speculative assumptions, aka bullsh*t and it seems you really enjoy talking bullsh*t.

Former user wrote on 1/21/2020, 3:04 PM

(1) You seem to wander and talk a lot. I already outlined I know the different fortes of the different programs and you ramble on about that while ignoring I've been describing the similar functions between them all along. These apps maintaining similarities does not stop them from expanding. I'm pretty certain common functioning explorer window views, sound card setups, plugin setups, and preference settings has not stopped them from moving forward. You talk about how "professionals" work and the tools they use. I don't care, I've witnessed those my penis is bigger than yours conversations many times over the years, they don't impress me and I'm really not interested in those type of conversations and your associated speculation assumptions.

(2) For me it's simple, I've worked in "professional" studios and it isn't about the tools you use or the workflow you choose. It never has been. I'm at a point in my life that I'm tired of jumping ships to learn a new way to work only to further discover their short-comings along the way. I don't care if there's a hammer available that has led lights on it, chromium finish and made of a new light weight rare earth allow metals and I definitely don't give a damn if Steven Spielsberg is producing the next Star Wars movie and associated music score with it. (3) Those new tools don't make me a better or more "professional" carpenter if I'm not able to work more efficiently with them and with less frustrations along the way than I am with a good ole fashion, no frills hammer and build a house just as well as the other guy with the new frills hammer. (4) I work with Acid and Vegas because I can go to work and not have to spend an additional 30 minutes each time I fire them up digging through different menu layouts and scratching my head trying to do a simple task for something I already know how to accomplish in Acid or Vegas and I don't care to change that so Acid can start looking like the star ship enterprise. (5) You don't have to tell me the history of Vegas, Acid and Sound Forge from Sonic Foundry to Sony, to Magix and act like the rest of us are clueless about that history. I've been using them since their initial releases. You can go find my username on the Sony/Sonic Foundry forums going back to the 1990s if you're really insterested.

I'm glad you seem to have everything all figured out and know how "professionals" work and the future roadmap Magix has chosen with these apps. (6) However, most of it just sounds like a bunch of speculative assumptions, aka bullsh*t and it seems you really enjoy talking bullsh*t.

1. Thankfully, I form coherent paragraphs and punctuate well ;-) Personal attacks are cliche, BTW. Why go there?

2. Wrong. Different solutions have different capabilities, and this includes integration with hardware for real-time effects processing. This is why Pro Tools became industry standard in the recording industry. Composers aren't using Cubase simply because it's chic. They do it because it's simply better at what it does than practically everything else on the market. You don't see to have spent much time actually using those software, and I"m not sure what kind of studio you worked in if they didn't consider these things heavily before choosing a platform upon which to build their business. At that level, what DAW you use is a business decision, and it isn't taken lightly.

ACID was used because it was the King of Looping, but other DAWs have improved dramatically in that area, while ACID Pro stood still in both that area and all others (for a decade).

3. Those tools allow you to easily do what takes tons of work in other solutions. Time is money. It's a business. If you spend 2 hours extra doing the same job, then you've wasted that time using a less efficient tool, when you could have moved onto another project. Editing Audio, Manipulating MIDI Data, Automation, Routing, etc. This can all eat up time, and ACID is notoriously weak in many of these areas vs. other DAWs - due to the aforementioned lack in development.

4. You learn how to use software once. You don't spend 30 minutes digging through tons of menus in (for example) Cubase every time you open it. Exaggerate, much? You spend a bit of time up front learning how to use it (you had to do this with ACID and VEGAS, as well), and then you learn the keyboard shortcuts and increase your efficiency as you acclimate to the DAW. You seem to have a very short-range perspective on these things.

This applies to ALL software you use, even Microsoft Paint has a learning curve.

Usability goes beyond look and feel, and you haven't seemed to give this much thought. Then again, you do associate visual clutter with a color scheme, so that isn't surprising.

5. Not clueless about the history, but the rationale for them looking and functioning "similarly." What they did made sense from an economic standpoint. It made it easier to crank out updates to each application, as you had to do minimal UI work across the range. This made sense, because Sonic Foundry wasn't a huge corporation with tons of cash to invest in this area.

But as you add functionality, it exposes the deficiencies due to the rigidity of this strategy. Additionally, people use computers differently than they did in 1998. While the core design made sense for 4:3 Single Monitor systems, it makes much less sense on dual-triple monitor setups with 16:9-21:9 screens.

We lost vertical pixels (as far as the ratio is concerned), but we retained forced bottom docking where side docking would be more logical in many places (or a combination of both would allow us to work more efficiently).

When ACID Pro added VSTi Support, a MIDI Piano Roll View, a Mixer, etc. then yes... the UI actually became quite cluttered because you were either forced to float tons of windows, or deal with the rigid docking that forces everything into the bottom of the application window.

Other software handles this more elegantly. MAGIX knows this, which is why they've improved the docking in Sound Forge Pro 13 (it was truly terrible in older versions) - changes that are likely to make their way over to ACID and VEGAS Pro, as well.

6. And I suppose you love enlightening us with your personal attacks and callousness. Touche!

-----

MAGIX is not developing ACID Pro for you. They're developing it for everyone, and they absolutely need the software to be attractive to more than a few upgraders. They need to bring in new users, and this requires them being able to compete well against free DAWs like Cakewalk by BandLab as well as cheap DAWs like REAPER and FL Studio.

You just seem to give off a ton of irrational fear of learning how to use a different software package. Professional Producers use multiple DAWs on the regular /eyeroll

-----

I don't think the MAGIX developers are stupid, so they should see the feature requests inherent in my posts. I'm thorough for a reason, and I don't "expect" you to agree with anything I say. People differ all the time on matters of this type.

Rednroll wrote on 1/21/2020, 4:25 PM

You spending even more time continuing to tell me how "professionals" work and with which tools? That right there spells out that you are truly not a professional. Have a good day.

Former user wrote on 1/21/2020, 11:33 PM

They were always intended as a suite of products where they are different applications with different fortes in the different areas of multimedia creation. That's the reason they all share common functions which had originally been implemented to be common, so the users which use all 3 applications in their different areas of multimedia creation wouldn't be faced with learning different paradigms, while using apps which have common functions between them. There's a reason that both Acid and Vegas will automatically recognize if Sound Forge is installed on your system and both will then have an "Open in Sound Forge" menu item where audio can be exported, manipulated in SF and imported back into Acid or Vegas easily. If Acid didn't have a similar paradigm and workflow as Vegas, then I would have fully moved to Reaper for music creation a long time ago and if Acid continues down this path of moving away from that commonality between them, then I no longer have a good reason to stick with using Acid Pro if I'm going to be forced into learning new and different paradigms. Reaper is the better music creation app at this time over Acid aside from Acid having a similar GUI and workflow as Vegas and Sound Forge. Reaper costs less, is better supported in fixing problems with much more frequent updates which includes additional features and fixes.

So yeah, go ahead and break the mold if the goal is to push away customers who use that suite of apps for the commonality between them. Acid is no longer a leader in any area of being a music creation DAW tool and they would only be pushing users towards the other apps which are. The OP has been pushed towards Albeton Live while preferring to work with Acid, where I feel like I am being pushed towards Reaper with these changes which have provided nothing other than working differently than what we have grown accustom. Jump the shark and get eaten by the other sharks.

This would also be the dumbest thing to do in regards to development resource management where if you have 3 apps with common functions between them, that you wouldn't be sharing code between them to reduce your overall development efforts but instead having similar apps and having different developers working on them and recreating the same functions in different manners.

rednroll, I couldn't have said it better. thank you for solidifying what I was talking about.

Grambler wrote on 2/2/2020, 12:41 PM

Lot of response to this post, but none actually adressing the original question in a satisfactory way.

I too would like to know how to disable the auto-draw-clip-at-beginning-of-project when doubleclicking in explorer.

Before, when browsing my samples in the file explorer window, I could doubleclick a sample and acid would add another track to my project, but not autodraw the sample at the beginning of my project. How can we get back to Acid behaving like that? It's annoying if, say, I'm working on something way down the line in my project and want to add a new sample, now, if I doubleclick I have to zoom out, scroll all the way to the beginning of the project and deal with the auto-drawn sample. instead of just having another track added with me being able to draw it in wherever I wanted on the timeline.

Former user wrote on 2/2/2020, 7:46 PM

Lot of response to this post, but none actually adressing the original question in a satisfactory way.

I too would like to know how to disable the auto-draw-clip-at-beginning-of-project when doubleclicking in explorer.

Before, when browsing my samples in the file explorer window, I could doubleclick a sample and acid would add another track to my project, but not autodraw the sample at the beginning of my project. How can we get back to Acid behaving like that? It's annoying if, say, I'm working on something way down the line in my project and want to add a new sample, now, if I doubleclick I have to zoom out, scroll all the way to the beginning of the project and deal with the auto-drawn sample. instead of just having another track added with me being able to draw it in wherever I wanted on the timeline.

Grambler, that is because no one can (answer my original post).

sheppo wrote on 2/8/2020, 7:52 PM

@Grambler - I have had a look through the preferences, and hidden options and cannot see an option currently to revert the earlier behaviour. This behaviour also affects "tools -> render to new track". The audio gets added at the start of the new track, not at the same point as the selected render time.

I will post feature request for this. I'm not personally aware of when this behaviour changed, I've not used either double clicking in explorer, or render to new track until the current version, but I can confirm it's an annoyance that could do with an option to toggle it - the default behaviour for both would make more sense to insert at the current timeline position imho.

I am happy to log feature requests where it makes perfect sense though, and have done in the past. Sadly, that doesn't confirm it will ever get added, but hey... we can at least ask! :-)

until then, a couple of work arounds.

1. clicking the timeline and then hitting ctrl+home takes you to the start of the timeline.
  2. Another work around is to draw out on the new track the newly added audio to a new clip,, then drag that down to a new track, then delete the original track.. which is a bit quicker if you ask me, and doesn't require bouncing around your timeline.
Former user wrote on 2/9/2020, 11:50 AM

I repeat myself when people don't seem to have gotten it. That won't change.

You spending even more time continuing to tell me how "professionals" work and with which tools? That right there spells out that you are truly not a professional. Have a good day.

vs. your exaggerations and making it personal? Umm. Okay. I'll take that.

The only Suite that included ACID was the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite, Lol. It included Sound Forge Audio Studio and ACID Music Studio.

VEGAS Pro Suite did include HitFilm Pro and Sound Forge Pro (among other things), however, not ACID Pro. VEGAS and Sound Forge are the two formerly Sonic Foundry apps that function the least alike, and neither of those companies packaged ACID Pro with VEGAS Pro or Sound Forge Pro, so... I'm confused by your assertion :-P

Saying "they look a like and function similarly in some areas, therefore they were intended to be a Suite of products" is not proving anything. So does the software coming out of every company that develops multiple products - despite them not packaging them in a Suite (which is just about packaging, and has little to do with look and feel, as professional software often doesn't prioritize that due to the domain-specific niches in which those customers exist). Look at Music Maker and Movie Edit Pro/Video Pro X. Look quite similar... Must be intended to be a suite!

So, history tells us that you're dead wrong.

Suites are nothing more than a marketing maneuver, usually to package discrete products together with discounted bundle costs. Microsoft Office, Apple's Student Bundle for their Pro Apps, Adobe Creative Suite, etc. are all example of this - as was/is VEGAS Pro Suite and all of MAGIX's Suites.

Publications were basically telling users to move to SONAR or Ableton Live from ACID Pro a decade ago, due to the development momentum of the product under Sony. SO, it doesn't surprise me that some users have "basically moved to Ableton as their main DAW." Most of us probably use ACID Pro as a Secondary DAW, at this point. Other DAWs have gotten so good at Loop- and Sample-based workflows, that they obsoleted the use of a product like this as a primary workstation for most people.

ACID Pro is more like Reason than Ableton, these days.

Some of us would like to see the DAW develop into something more competitive in the market, not simply stay in 2005 mode because it makes some vocal legacy users happy. If that means they have to tweak workflows and change up the UI/UX, then that's the price we will have to pay for a better product in the long term.