Attempting to import analog video from a Hi8 camcorder.

Flip5 wrote on 10/17/2009, 10:17 AM
Attempting to import analog video from a Hi8 camcorder.  Initally everything seems to be fine.  Video and audio from the Camcorder source appear in the preview window.  However when I hit the record button, I get the following error message, "The chosen directory is write protected.  Cannot write any data".

Any Ideas?

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 10/21/2009, 5:21 AM
Hi there,

I guess this message most likely indicates some kind of Windows access rights/user privileges related issue. Please check the settings for the directory used to store the analog video captures under "File" => "Program settings".

"Recordings" is the relevant path setting. Make sure it is pointing to a path on your hard drive that is not write-protected and that is fully accessible with the privileges of the Windows user account you're running the software under. (You might want to try running the software under an administrator account.) Please also make sure that the path for the recording is not merely a drive letter (e.g. not only "C:\"). You might want to create a new folder for the analog video captures (e.g. "C:\Video recordings") and set this as your "Recordings" path.

I hope this helps.

ralftaro wrote on 10/22/2009, 4:47 AM
Hmm, strange. What mode/screen are you currently operating in? Maybe you can also confirm again what version of Movie Edit Pro you're using. I just had the programs mixed up a little when I posted my initial reply. I guess in Movie Edit Pro (15) the correct position in the "File" menu is under the "Settings" sub menu. The option is then just called "Program..." The hot key is "Y". So, I guess you could try hitting "Y" on your keyboard, e.g. just when you're in the main editing screen without any other dialogs being open. That should get you into the program settings dialog and go straight to the "Path settings" tab.

Good luck!