Analog Music Recordings Distorted

robapel wrote on 12/15/2008, 1:13 PM
OK. I can't figure this out.

I got MP3 Maker 12 so that I start to record my old records, cassette tapes, 8 track tapes, and reel to reel tapes. Yes awfully large collection.

I have the line out from my stereo into my line in of my sound card on my PC. Everthing sounds fine if I just listen to my stereo through my PC. Even while recording the music it sounds fine. However the recordings themselves are quite distorted. Kind of like if I had my stereo volume up to full blast.

What the heck is wrong. Why can't I get recordings as clear as it sounds through my PC speakers? I tried lowering the line in volume setting on my computer so that is really low but that doesn't do a stinking thing to help my problem.

ARRRRGGHH!!!!

Comments

NoTurning wrote on 12/15/2008, 7:38 PM
Are you using a Sound Blaster product... perhaps an Audigy?
NoTurning wrote on 12/16/2008, 8:40 AM
Hmmm... this is the exact problem with the SB products but might be applicable to yours too. Basically it sounds good - records bad! You can try switching your recording method ie: ASIO, wav and etc.

Also bump the resolution and sampling frequency down too. You might be at 16bit 44.1 khz by default (CD quality) so try bumping those down and see what happens. Also make sure you have the latest driver (5.10 or higher)

Honestly, these are not great cards for recording; maybe consider an external interface. You can get a decent pro-level interface for not a lot of money.
NoTurning wrote on 12/16/2008, 1:54 PM
Hi,
I'm glad things are sounding better... a recording interface is basically an external sound card but geared more for recording artists such as your self and professionals. They are not bound by the computer processor and are cabled for pro audio - not home audio like a built in card. Without going into too much detail there is a huge difference between home audio and pro audio; even how they're cabled.

There are many good interfaces out there, even under $100.00. Depending on your budget I would recommend a Presonis Firewire interface or a Lexicon Omega USB interface. Be very careful though to make sure you get one compatible with you operating system.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Justin