After MPEG 2 activation - cpu 50% steady

patso09 wrote on 12/15/2008, 10:13 AM
Since I did my mpeg 2 activation, my cpu is always at 50%. Meens that one of the 2 cores is at 100%.

I ran the "process explorer" and found that "explorer.exe" is the problem. Under explorer.exe I found this dll " ntdll.dll!Rtldecodepointer+0x9b " making my cpu working at 50.00 steady.

Under " ntdll.dll!Rtldecodepointer+0x9b " I found those process:

ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xab7
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x492
ntkrnlpa.exe!PsGetCurrentThreadTeb+0x377
hal.dll!KfRaiseIrql+0xd1
hal.dll!KeRaiseIrqlToSynchLevel+0x70
hal.dll!HalEndSystemInterrupt+0x73
hal.dll!HalInitializeProcessor+0xcc1
magixmpegin.dll!mpegInSeekSampleExisting+0xdd97
magixmpegin.dll!mpegInSeekSampleExisting+0xe6fc
magixmpegin.dll!mpegInSeekSampleExisting+0x8af1
magixmpegin.dll!mpegSplitOpenFile+0x1d2
magixspmpeg.ax!DllUnregisterServer+0x2d35
magixspmpeg.ax!DllCanUnloadNow+0x1839
magixspmpeg.ax!DllUnregisterServer+0xc38d
magixspmpeg.ax!DllUnregisterServer+0xc4dd
quartz.dll!DllGetClassObject+0x13198

This why I suspect the magix mpeg registering process to be my problem.

When I click on "suspend"  for the " ntdll.dll!Rtldecodepointer+0x9b " my processor fall back to a normal state close to 0 %...

Any sugestion to correct this permanently?  Tks

Comments

matthew1471 wrote on 1/1/2009, 11:52 AM
Dear patso09 I've spent a while diagnosing a similar problem with the CyberLink thumbnailer (see: http://blogx.co.uk/Comments.asp?Entry=779) I'd suggest trying to find out which file is causing this by following the steps in my blog entry and then e-mailing them.

In the mean time once you know what file type this is being triggered with you can temporarily remove the shell handler for that file type.

Hope this helps,
Matt
TeeRod wrote on 1/26/2010, 1:05 AM
Friend and fellow user

No doubt you have resolved this issue by now. 

It is somewhat ridiculous that I have just installed the latest version of Movie Edit Pro Plus and the problem still exists without explanation  from MAGIX.  How ridiculous is that! 

I'm beginning to think these guys are not much.  Especially in support.

I see there has been no answer to your request for help and it's more than a year later!

Installed MEP Plus and I now have 50% CPU usage also.
HERE IS THE DRILL DOWN ON Explore.exe
--------------------------------
ntoskrnl.exe+0x584d
magixmpegin.dll!mpegInSeekSampleExisting+0xda4d
magixmpegin.dll!mpegSplitOpenFile+0x1d2
magixspmpeg.ax!DllUnregisterServer+0x2d35
ntoskrnl.exe!IoPageRead+0xae0
magixmpegin.dll!mpegInSeekSampleExisting+0xdd58
---------------------------------

The answer to your question is as follows:

When installing either MEP or Cyberlink a program is also installed that crawls your disk to find or create thumbnails for movies.

The registry key it uses to find the program and files is under the ".dat" type in the registry.

A fine person has run this down and identified the offending registry key entry for you to remove from your registry.

Here is the link to his description and fix:"http://blogx.co.uk/Comments.asp?Entry=779"

It fixed my problem.

End of my answer

Ive sunk about 180 USD in MEP versions (because there is no upgrade path) only to uninstall it several times.

Cyberlink seems to suck less than MEP although neither product is all-that.

Regards
Robert Morgan
Orlando, FL
patso09 wrote on 2/9/2010, 7:55 AM
To correct this problem, back then in dec.2008, I "checked " in " file options/ advanced parameters " the box " always show icons, never thumbnails ".

I didn't tried to manipulate my registry but I read Matthew1471's answer and that should have correct my problem.

To day, feb.2010, before to try " Matthew's option " , I " unchecked " the same box " always show ... " and ... good news, no more CPU over work!

Why ?  I supposed that an update, between dec.2008 and now corrected this issue.

Thank's for your help and time, everyone,

Patrick