Adding specific effects to a video...

TheSilentPriest wrote on 5/31/2009, 1:51 AM
Hello everyone. My problem is with video editing.

I do some paranormal research (ghost hunting) and I have some video I want to edit. Here lies the problem.

I want to insert some eliments to my video to 'point-out' things going on in the video. Either some arrows or circles to identify things that go on in the background.

I tried to set up my video into 'Storyboard' mode, however, it will not break the video down into individual frames that I can copy to a image editor to insert these items.

So I guess my problem lies with the storyboard mode. Why does it not break the video into individual frames that I can edit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

massi04 wrote on 5/31/2009, 4:42 AM
Try to solve your problem by using the timeline mode. There you have all the features that you might want to apply:
Effects, titles...
Select a single frame and export it (Alt+N). This can be edited using any image editor.
Insert it in the timeline in any track and apply your effects, e.g. any number of titles that you can move around and change, color, size...
Use tranparency effects and so on...

This e.g. is made of a transparent map, 2 titles (red circle, text), and a background video. I hope this might give you some inspiration.
markpaul wrote on 6/4/2009, 11:17 PM
If you've never used the video controller this is the perfect time to play with it, you'll be glad you did.  Use any bitmap editor (ie paint, photoplus, Gimp) and on a black background (usually the default) put any object that you want in your video (ie an arrow).  Save or export (depeding on the application) the file to a Jpeg or Bitmap (BMP).  Now import that image into your timeline below your video. Postion the video start marker anywhere so it's over both the video and the image clips.  Click on the new image to select and R-click, choose video effects... this is the video controller.  Bottom center is the mode/mix buttons.  If the black is showing from the imported image then click mix under mode.  The preview screen should show the video as the background and your object (arrow) should be there also.  Now click and drag anywhere on the preview screen.... the object moves to where ever you want it.  Click OK when your done.  That's it.  You can resize the image to appear as long as you want and you can also add effects to it as well.  Notice here that the image is kept separate from the video which can have it's own effects as well.  Now you can copy/paste this anywhere else in your timeline.  You can use this approch for many things.....have fun!