Acid Pro not opening m4a and mp4 files

Animal-Nation wrote on 4/23/2018, 2:48 AM

Hey guys!

Thank you again for upgrading Acid Pro to 64 bit. It really does seem more stable immediately!
I also love that I can easily open my Acid Pro 7 files in AP8, and then go back and reopen them in AP7 again! Awesome!

Unfortunately a bunch of my projects contain a handful of mp4 files as well as m4a files, which don't seem to open in AP8.

Thank you again!
-Garnet

Comments

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 4/23/2018, 8:24 AM

Hi @Animal-Nation,

First of all, thank you for your feedback! It always feels great, when we see enthusiastic users who like our product(s).

On the flip side, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. In ACID Pro 8 we don't have mp4 codec. Please save your projects in ACID Pro 7 without the videos. After that you can load them in ACID Pro 8.

Best regards,
Mathias

Animal-Nation wrote on 4/23/2018, 11:52 AM

Hey Mathias!
Thanks for the quick reply.
That's too bad. Do you know if AP8 or future versions will integrate m4a and mp4 codecs?
I recently started using Serato Video a ton, so half my files these days are video files. It was so awesome being able to drag them into AP7 and delete the video files associated with them, and then edit them like regular audio files. Unfortunately the 32bit architechture of AP7 didn't like using a few gigs worth of files per project :(

I would LOVE to see m4a and mp4 integration in a future update :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you again Magix! You guys are amazing!!!

MAGIX_Redaktion wrote on 4/24/2018, 1:52 AM

Hi @Animal-Nation,

Unfortunately, I don't know if that will be in future versions. We, obviously, will keep an open mind and if we get more feedback from the community regarding this feature, we might consider implementing it.

Thanks, it's so rewarding creating software for passionate users like you. 😎

Animal-Nation wrote on 4/24/2018, 12:17 PM

Alternatively I've been using this website to convert my video files to 320kbps mp3's -
https://online-audio-converter.com/

Animal-Nation wrote on 4/24/2018, 12:18 PM

But an mp4/m4a codec would still be an awesome update! :D :D :D

kinvermark wrote on 4/24/2018, 7:15 PM

If it is any use to you, the avi container type seems to work fine in AP8 with a variety of codecs.

Animal-Nation wrote on 4/25/2018, 10:34 AM

If it is any use to you, the avi container type seems to work fine in AP8 with a variety of codecs.

What is the Avi Container and how do I activate/set this up? I've never heard of that before..
Thank you!

kinvermark wrote on 4/25/2018, 9:18 PM

You chose the settings when rendering your videos, so it depends on what software you are using to make videos. Virtually all NLE software (Like Magix Vegas, etc.) can do this... I don't know about screen capture software if you are capturing gameplay.

EnochtheRad wrote on 8/10/2019, 12:37 PM

AP9 FLAC and AAC format support - I'm trying to render multichannel files but I keep getting messages while rendering that my selection is not valid with the Project Properties and my selection option is being removed from the options list. I used to be able to render in AAC in AP8, what happened? I'm not seeing multichannel FLAC either.

Former user wrote on 8/16/2019, 10:53 PM

AP8 doesn't have AAC support. It's on Humble Bundle now, so I installed it just to check. Cannot Render AAC files. Can't say for sure about FLAC Multi-Channel, as I didn't try.

Actually, the list of supported Audio Formats/CODECs is pretty awful.

It also crashed CONSTANTLY, so I removed it from my machine shortly afterwards.

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/12/2020, 8:19 PM

I support a website that supplies me with the .m4a format audio regularly. So I'm jumping on the bandwagon plea for support that format Please? Converting the files to compatible (even lossless wave) formats, then re-digitizing, I'm losing a tonne of resolution.
Is Magix planning on doing this (some un-spoken to-do list), or are the customers just out of luck? Thank you

emmrecs wrote on 4/13/2020, 3:38 AM

@Robert-Seward

Welcome to the Magix forums.

This thread refers to problems opening mp4 and m4a files in Acid Pro 8. Is that the version you are running? If so, there will not be any further updates to that version, I understand, so you will have to continue to use your workaround.

If Acid 8 is NOT your version, please start a new thread with your question, specifying which version you are running.

As a general point I would like to add the following: you wrote Converting the files to compatible (even lossless wave) formats, then re-digitizing, I'm losing a tonne of resolution. How, exactly are you doing this "conversion"? What software are you using? There is no way that digitally converting from, say m4a to wav should result in losing a tonne of resolution.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/13/2020, 7:27 AM

@Robert-Seward

Welcome to the Magix forums.

This thread refers to problems opening mp4 and m4a files in Acid Pro 8. Is that the version you are running? If so, there will not be any further updates to that version, I understand, so you will have to continue to use your workaround.

If Acid 8 is NOT your version, please start a new thread with your question, specifying which version you are running.

As a general point I would like to add the following: you wrote Converting the files to compatible (even lossless wave) formats, then re-digitizing, I'm losing a tonne of resolution. How, exactly are you doing this "conversion"? What software are you using? There is no way that digitally converting from, say m4a to wav should result in losing a tonne of resolution.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

I am using 8.0. Does version 9 solve the problem? Your moderation seems to flag/imply I wasn't referring to m4a, but that was in my OP.?
If you ever record from zoom (I have Very regularly now), the render generates m4v And m4a files. I have to manipulate the m4a and repost on a website for collaboration. It's very frustrating that I paid a tonne of money for your previous and current version products to drop and include support for formats that use to be supported (as reflected by your other respondents).

emmrecs wrote on 4/13/2020, 8:54 AM

@Robert-Seward

Just for clarification: this is not "my" software, or company. I am a fellow-user of Magix software, not an employee of the company!

The fact that support for m4a and mp4 was dropped was a decision taken by Magix, presumably for licensing reasons. I understand now what you are doing/wanting to do but I am still very unclear about how, exactly, you are manipulating those audio and video files to repost ... for collaboration. Speaking personally, I would use either a dedicated convertor program, like MovAvi Video Convertor Premium to convert the files to a format that made them accessible to me, or I would open them in one of Magix' Video editing programs and attempt the conversion there. Whichever method I chose I would not expect to see, nor would I be prepared to accept a tonne of resolution loss.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/13/2020, 9:12 AM

Yes sir, I moderate several forums myself. I appreciate your taking the time to communicate.
Zoom is a conferencing program used for businesses and clubs - anyone who would benefit from video collaboration. My role is to edit (OK, bible studies and other related and business meetings) and re-post the meetings online for members and folks who couldn't attend to review permanently.

Due to the mass number of people - Acid Pro is the best mechanism for me to manage the high number of volume changes throughout the timeline (the more microphones, the more editing needed), to produce a meeting that's pleasing to listen to later.

The act of creating secondary files has two huge negative effects: 1) it generates huge files on my computer, which negates one of the reasons for having all in one editor, and 2) converting a digital file even into a lossless wav file for import into Acid, then rendering into a digitized MP3 creates a noisier waveform in an recording that's already highly compensated for.

Do you know if AP9 has direct support for the aforementioned m4a files?
Thanks again for your time.

johnebaker wrote on 4/13/2020, 9:22 AM

@Robert-Seward

Hi

Did you see this response from the Magix developers.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/13/2020, 9:46 AM

@Robert-Seward

Hi

Did you see this response from the Magix developers.

John EB
Forum Moderator

I think you're referring to converting the file, which is in my statement that it's taking a huge amount of space by maintaining multiple files/file formats. The converting of the file is not a problem in and of itself.

I'll research if 10 (running 9) is going to support the file format - else consider changing programs. IDK what does what Acid does, so not looking forward to that option.

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/13/2020, 1:19 PM

Follow-up. From the Magix website AP10 specification page, import file codec supported:
AA3, AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, PCA, SND, W64, WAV, WMA.
Sadly no support. Thank you for your answers.

johnebaker wrote on 4/13/2020, 1:48 PM

@Robert-Seward

Hi

I think you missed the point of the Magix response - m4a is part of the mp4 video format which is AAC compressed audio encoding.

Support for m4a may only be brought back if there is sufficient demand for it.

What you are getting is the audio component of a mp4 video file, the video component is the m4v file.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/13/2020, 3:08 PM

I've used Vegas pro since it was a Sony product. The latest version Magix Vegas pro 17 (I bought it too) comes out of the box not supporting mp4, but there IS a checkbox in the options to enable support for those files. With all due respect, my OP was on mark with what you said I missed - adding my name to the list of people who Want that feature. Please Magix, give us the option to enable it Just like Vegas Pro?

Thank you mods for the active conversation today.

Former user wrote on 4/23/2020, 6:15 AM

Aside from MP4, my AP10 still refuses to open MP3 files. 😡

toddbooster wrote on 4/24/2020, 2:04 PM

@Robert-Seward Why don't you just do the work on the Zoom videos in Vegas Pro then? After all, it's killer feature is that besides being a capable NLE, it's also a fully featured multi track audio editor...

Robert-Seward wrote on 4/26/2020, 2:47 PM

@Robert-Seward Why don't you just do the work on the Zoom videos in Vegas Pro then? After all, it's killer feature is that besides being a capable NLE, it's also a fully featured multi track audio editor...

I have a current version of Roxio Creator NXT that converts the audio directly to a lossless WAV format. The point I was making is this is "pro" software. I was joining my fellow user in admonishing Magix for the lack of support for the stated format. There are many methods that could be used to accomplish the same goal... In more steps.

1) Why should we have to use any other program to do a 1:1 conversion?

2) Have you ever made a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy? The farther you get from the original, the more noise is introduced. This is true for audio too. Convert digitized copy to lossless wave, then to a different digitized format - each with their own bit rates, makes for unprofessional productions. (lucky my audience is mostly old people who don't hear too well).