Comments

SP. wrote on 8/17/2022, 6:25 AM

@Alan-Pitt Maybe your antivirus deletes the installer directly after it finished downloading. I would suggest you disable it temporarily and enable it again after the update has finished.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 8/17/2022, 7:53 AM

Thank you, SP that seemed to work. Usually, my anti-virus and firewall flag up any unsafe downloads with a warning message. I can then choose to delete a dangerous file or choose to keep and install it at my discretion. No such warning ever came up. I've also completely reinstalled my Windows 11 from scratch and subsequently every piece of software (without any other odd occurrences) so it was strange this error occurred. However, I disabled it as you advised and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks so much.

Scott-Deaton wrote on 8/28/2022, 9:08 AM

Seems weird that a computer program making company would ask us to pull a macgyver in 2022.

SP. wrote on 8/28/2022, 1:58 PM

@Scott-Deaton Yes, usually it would be much easier to just give us a download link for the update. Magix instead downloads an exe-file to a temp directory and runs it. Windows security system does not like this behaviour which is totally acceptable. It's a bad way to distribute updates.

johnebaker wrote on 8/28/2022, 3:39 PM

@Scott-Deaton, @SP.

Hi

. . . . Seems weird that a computer program making company would ask us to pull a macgyver in 2022. . . .

This issue is not limited to just Windows Defender, AVAST/AVG , BitDefender and the Norton and McAfee offerings have all had issues with installing programs. They tend to be over aggressive on the Folder protection/Ransomware/Real time scan features and stop valid programs being installed or and / or working.

The use of a Download Manager is common for software from many different vendors particularly when the software download is very large.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 8/29/2022, 6:16 AM

I hope this comment does not come across as crass or dismissive. I read all the comments and there are very useful suggestions and points made. The advice to turn off Controlled Folder Access did work and allowed the installation of the last update.
However, my main concern still remains the constant crashing of Acid Pro and the instability of the program. I have received information directly from Magix which states that they are aware of numerous issues and are hoping to fix these with a major update at some future date.
Therefore, in the scheme of things this update issue was a very minor niggle. I subsequently performed a major clean installation of everything on my PC in order to start over. This involved a clean install of Windows 11 followed by the numerous music software I own. Suffice it to say that install problems also exist with Native Instruments too. Magix aren't alone here so it may be unfair to overly critique them on patch updates, especially when there are easy workarounds.
I hold my breath hoping for a major update that finally irons out the numerous bugs that make Acid pro unstable and often unusable. I know the vast majority of studio musicians/home producers have now written off Magix as merely a reminder of past glories from the Sonic Foundry days but Acid was my first DAW and I guess like your firstborn you have a forever bond that is hard to break.

SP. wrote on 8/29/2022, 7:06 AM

@Alan-Pitt

However, my main concern still remains the constant crashing of Acid Pro and the instability of the program. I have received information directly from Magix which states that they are aware of numerous issues and are hoping to fix these with a major update at some future date.

There are some suggestions by users to reduce the crashing. Some advices include to run ACID 10 under Windows 8 compatibility mode and to only use a VST folder with either 32 bit VST 2 or 32 bit VST 3 or 64 bit VST 2 or 64 bit VST 3 plugins.

Suffice it to say that install problems also exist with Native Instruments too. Magix aren't alone here so it may be unfair to overly critique them on patch updates, especially when there are easy workarounds.

Personally, I think support staff were fed up with the many user complaints that were solely related to software that was outdated and could be fixed by just installing the latest version. So the companies introduced the downloaders to force their users to always use the latest versions. The same applies to Windows and automatic updates, which were introduced because many computers were running outdated and highly insecure versions of Windows. But fixing security bugs in Windows can break the software downloaders. It is like an endless cycle.

Gurmeet-Dhir wrote on 11/26/2022, 4:59 PM

ACid pro 11 not working with Windows 11 M1 Pro Mac

The installation completes but the projects can't be saved or opened.

Its crashes as soon as I try to open an old acid pro 11 created project.

Any suggestions ???

SP. wrote on 11/26/2022, 5:07 PM

@Gurmeet-Dhir I would guess this is caused by the M1 processor which uses a different set of instructions compared to x64 processors. As long as all necessary instructions aren't correctly translated between each other it will not work. Maybe compatibility gets better in the future. But this is nothing that the developers of ACID can influence.