Acid Pro 10 VST scan error message

justin-morales wrote on 4/6/2022, 9:31 PM

Greetings all:

Well finally upgraded from 32 bit acid pro 7 to 64 bit acid pro10. looks and feels nice!!

However: what's the deal with the weird messages/inability to scan VSTs. i get this error randomly and it's so annoying. I've seen a few posts about it, but i am wondering:

Is there a consensus on how to solve or avoid this issue? It's been a total bummer because acid pro is truly my fave DAW, but i absolutely cannot deal with this.

sigh.

Comments

SP. wrote on 4/7/2022, 3:30 AM

@justin-morales Does your Windows user account have sufficient privileges? Or does the firewall block the VST scanners? You need to check this.

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 6:37 AM

Yes it does and I have turned my firewall off. Is there some trick to get this to work? this is insane.

SP. wrote on 4/7/2022, 9:27 AM

@justin-morales Okay, then upload a screenshot that shows that Windows Defender is turned off and the error message you are getting, so we know for sure. You can upload a file by clicking on the blue arrow icon above the textbox.

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 4:50 PM

@justin-morales Okay, then upload a screenshot that shows that Windows Defender is turned off and the error message you are getting, so we know for sure. You can upload a file by clicking on the blue arrow icon above the textbox.

This is the error message I keep getting. I have turned off anti virus and firewall, added the plugin scans to the firewall exceptions, turned on compatibility to windows 8, and turned on run as administrator for acid pro and the plugin files. What should i do to get this to work?

emmrecs wrote on 4/7/2022, 6:04 PM

@justin-morales

Inevitable question: since the error message refers to scanning of VST3s, which VST3s do you have and are they installed in the default location (which should not be changed)?

Jeff

Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 4/7/2022, 6:16 PM

@justin-morales It looks like your virus and threat protection is still running. Disable it all, step by step, also disable controlled folder access. I would guess that the scan server EXE files will then run fine.

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 7:01 PM

@justin-morales

Inevitable question: since the error message refers to scanning of VST3s, which VST3s do you have and are they installed in the default location (which should not be changed)?

Jeff

Forum Moderator

this is the weird part. sometimes i get this message for vst2 64 bit, sometimes for vst3, sometimes for vst2 32 bit. its different EVERY TIME!

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 7:04 PM

@justin-morales It looks like your virus and threat protection is still running. Disable it all, step by step, also disable controlled folder access. I would guess that the scan server EXE files will then run fine.

Thanks. I am new to windows 10. I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, so you might be right. what do you think i havent disabled from looking at the photo i posted?

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 8:22 PM

ANYWAYS.....im running out of patience. acid pro 7 and ableton live 8 and 11 are able to scan my VSTs easily. it would be nice to use acid pro 10 and not need a PHD in computer science to get it to scan VSTs. this is awful.

SP. wrote on 4/7/2022, 8:53 PM

@justin-morales Yes, but the problem are your Windows settings and not ACID. Microsoft tightens the software and hardware security mechanisms with each update because most users have no idea how to behave securely and will wreck their systems otherwise. And it looks like that Microsoft does not like it, if a program starts another program that opens and scans DLL files.

A possible easy solution could be to uninstall ACID from your system and reinstall it into a different folder, for example your Windows user folder at C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\Magix. The program files folder you are currently using is especially protected by Windows so that programs cannot be manipulated easily. But this can cause the problems you are experiencing.

justin-morales wrote on 4/7/2022, 11:47 PM

@justin-morales Yes, but the problem are your Windows settings and not ACID. Microsoft tightens the software and hardware security mechanisms with each update because most users have no idea how to behave securely and will wreck their systems otherwise. And it looks like that Microsoft does not like it, if a program starts another program that opens and scans DLL files.

A possible easy solution could be to uninstall ACID from your system and reinstall it into a different folder, for example your Windows user folder at C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\Magix. The program files folder you are currently using is especially protected by Windows so that programs cannot be manipulated easily. But this can cause the problems you are experiencing.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a shot.

And to your point about it not being an ACID issue. With all due respect, if your DAW is triggering all sorts of issues with windows security causing problems for countless users over something so basic like VST scan, AND if almost every other DAW doesnt have that feature and allows scanning in a simpler way, then thats on the DAW team to get rid of it instead of making customers jump through hoops to try to solve the issue.

Ive got 5 DAWs installed on my comp, and acid pro 10 is the only one of them to do this. thats not a windows issue, thats an acid pro 10 issue.

SP. wrote on 4/8/2022, 1:59 AM

@justin-morales No, it's not an ACID 10 issue because I don't have this problem on my computer and I never encountered it in the past.

johnebaker wrote on 4/8/2022, 2:34 AM

@justin-morales

Hi

. . . .  I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 . . . .

I would suggest you follow this tutorial - there may be issues in the upgrade process which are causing issues.

If you intend to do a re-install after the system check, then it is recommended to use the Revo free uninstaller and use this to start the un-install, followed by scanning for files and other items that are left behind so you get a clean re-install.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

justin-morales wrote on 4/8/2022, 2:40 AM

@justin-morales

Hi

. . . .  I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 . . . .

I would suggest you follow this tutorial - there may be issues in the upgrade process which are causing issues.

If you intend to do a re-install after the system check, then it is recommended to use the Revo free uninstaller and use this to start the un-install, followed by scanning for files and other items that are left behind so you get a clean re-install.

HTH

John EB
Forum Moderator

Thanks....but by upgrade i meant i finally bought a new computer. this is a brand new windows 10 computer. i uninstalled acid pro 10 and will be moving on.

i dont have time for this. ive spent 2 days searching forums and posts, trying every single tweak that people have suggested about this common problem with acid pro 10. im gonna find a stable DAW.

Vern-Oner wrote on 8/19/2024, 1:15 AM

Hi!! I'm having the same problem on Intel Alder Lake-N mini pc system. I have Acid Pro 10, 11 running on old Intel Sandy Bridge laptop and 2 AMD Ryzen B450, A320 without this issue. Is there a setting that had to be adjusted?

SP. wrote on 8/19/2024, 1:24 AM

@Vern-Oner Does is help if you run Acid as administrator by right clicking the program icon? I still recommend that you also try to install Acid in another directory that isn't as tightly secured as the Program Files directory, for example C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\Magix

Vern-Oner wrote on 8/24/2024, 5:44 PM

Hi! Nope. That doesn't work. You guys can test this on Jumper EZbox-N100 Mini pc. It's random. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I think on this pc it has something to do with serial numbers and model Default String. I have to restart the program a few times to get the scan server to work.

Vern-Oner wrote on 8/24/2024, 6:45 PM

johnebaker wrote on 8/25/2024, 1:55 AM

@Vern-Oner

Hi

. . . . You guys can test this on Jumper EZbox-N100 Mini pc. . . . .

The forum is not Magix Support, it is a public forum, provided by Magix, for users of their software to help each other with common issues, how to's and other product related discussions.

Your suggestion is not possible unless another member of the forum has the same mini PC and Acid version.

As @SP. has commented the likely cause is the Folder/Real time protection feature of you Antivirus (AV) program that is causing the issue, and, if you are using a 3rd party AV software and disabling it for testing, then you also need to disable Windows Defender as this is still active when you turn off the 3rd party AV.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.