Acid Pro 10 doesn't support VST plugin pop-up windows?

Rednroll wrote on 7/13/2021, 4:38 PM

Setting up my system with multiple VSTi instrument plugins to use within Acid Pro 10.

Been noticing AP10 does not seem to support when clicking on items in a plugin which throw up a separate plugin selection window. You click on that item in the plugin and nothing happens...no separate window pop-up appears. Just click..click...click, no error, nothing, it just seems like the button has no action.

Observing this with EzDrummer and SuperiorDrummer VSTi plugins which are 2 of the best drum VSTi's available, so rather disappointing that this seems like it was never tested in AP10 by either developer. Within these plugins they provide the ability to install the sample libraries to separate hard drives. If you attempt within the plugin to change the path of the location of the library, a file browser window is suppose to pop up, allowing you to browse and point the plugin to the location of the sound library. That file browser window does not pop up within Acid Pro 10. Other DAWs it does.

Work around is to either fire up another DAW and perform that task with these plugins or launch the EZDrummer, or Superior Drummer separate application to make those adjustments outside of AP10. This becomes a bigger challenge if you have Superior Drummer 2.0 which doesn't have a separate stand alone application like Superior Drummer 3.0.

Comments

sheppo wrote on 7/16/2021, 6:52 AM

@Rednroll - I don't have these plugins, so can't help you specifically with this. Anyway, there is an alternative way to launch plugin windows which may work around this particular problem for people that only have Acid.. It's really tucked away though.

1. Create a new project
  2. Edit -> tick Activate Morph Pads
  3. Add an Audio Track
  4. View -> View Bus Tracks
  5. Click the master bus Track FX icon
  6. with the MorphPad plugin selected, click the + icon
  7. Press Shift+F10
  8. click Edit Patch
    • This is a non-linear way to route midi, FX, and set up Ableton Macro-like presets to morph between on an X-Y pad. It's pretty cool, but clearly not fully featured just yet, and feels a bit like an early beta. Interestingly though, it also allows you to have multiple VST effects windows open at the same time, and appears to be a complete re-write of the plugin interface, or potentially even underlying architecture.
  9. at the top of the Edit FX Patch for Track window, click ADD NEW PLUGIN
    • Even though this is for FX, it's possible to sort the category column, find your instruments and add them to the FX patch
  10. Double click the instrument
  11. Click the ADD NEW PLUGIN section again to hide the list
  12. You should now see a device for the instrument on the FX patch window.
  13. Right click it and select Open plugin GUI

From here does the option to open multiple windows work?

Rednroll wrote on 7/16/2021, 8:05 AM

Thanks, I was going to try it out to see if it worked. I have the Activate Morph Pads checked but I'm not seeing any kind of "Morph Pad" showing up under the plugin manager in Acid. Would this plugin show up under the Audio FX's plugins or Instruments?

I'm assuming under the audio FX's but not seeing it under either.

I'm currently thinking either this plugin isn't installed on my system or I don't have Acid configured to scan the folder it gets installed to if it gets installed with the Acid installer.

sheppo wrote on 7/16/2021, 11:11 AM

you don't need to manually try to morphpad yourself. It automagically gets added to new audio tracks, and buses if you have the Activate Morph Pads option enabled and have an audio track. You might also need to enable "Add morph pads automatically to every project" on the General preferences tab.. right near the bottom.

Then create a new project. create a new audio layer, and you should see it added to that new audio track's plugin chain, and the master bus plugin chain.

Rednroll wrote on 7/16/2021, 5:11 PM

you don't need to manually try to morphpad yourself. It automagically gets added to new audio tracks, and buses if you have the Activate Morph Pads option enabled and have an audio track. You might also need to enable "Add morph pads automatically to every project" on the General preferences tab.. right near the bottom.

Then create a new project. create a new audio layer, and you should see it added to that new audio track's plugin chain, and the master bus plugin chain.

Unfortunately, I'm still not finding it. I have General preference tab checked, and activate Morphpads under edit menu checked as well. Which were both my original and default settings. Awhile back, I set my default audio track properties to only include the Magix Track EQ plugin and removed the other FXs out of the chain since I typically use other 3rd party compressors, etc. So it's possible I may have removed that from track default plugin chain without realizing it but I would assume I would be able to add it back in if I wanted. However, never recall ever seeing it.

Therefore, I'm looking for it under the Magix Audio and Magix instrument plugins within the plugin manager and coming up empty.

Here are what the plugin manager shows me where I'm unable to find any Morphpads.

Magix Audio Plugins

Magix Instrument Plugins (also not under Magix GmbH folder either)

This is what my plugin chain looks like when I insert a new audio track and click on the FX insert button.