"Acid Pro 10.0 has stopped working" error on startup

Zeus-Celi6285 wrote on 1/15/2022, 2:48 PM

I have begun receiving this error whenever I open Acid Pro 10. Recent change was upgrade to Win 11. AP10 continued to work, but this error started appearing. Need anyone's help as the web doesn't have good info on this. Thanks.

Problem Description
   Application Name:    ACID Pro 10.0
   Application Version: Version 10.0.5 (Build 38)
   Problem:             Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
   Fault Module:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\sfvstwrap.dll
   Fault Address:       0x0000000009523C5D
   Fault Offset:        0x0000000000203C5D

Fault Process Details
   Process Path:        C:\Program Files\ACID\ACID Pro 10.0\acidpro.exe
   Process Version:     Version 10.0.5 (Build 38)
   Process Description: ACID Pro 10.0
   Process Image Date:  2021-06-07 (Mon Jun 07) 13:10:22

Comments

SP. wrote on 1/15/2022, 5:24 PM

@Zeus-Celi6285 I would guess the problem is caused by some VST? The error occurs in the sfvstwrap.dll. Maybe it helps if you reset the program settings. Hold CTRL+SHIFT on your keyboard and double click the ACID program icon. A small window should appear and ask you to reset the pogram settings and delete the cache. Do this and maybe it will run again.

Zeus-Celi6285 wrote on 1/15/2022, 8:59 PM

SP...I did try it...it did work the first time. However, after closing out the program and attempting to re-open, the error returns. Any other suggestions?

Alan-Pitt wrote on 10/1/2022, 8:40 AM

SP I've tried holding CTRL + SHIFT keys down whilst starting Acid but it doesn't prevent the application initialisation -1 error.

Anyway, as Zeus-Celi6285 wrote above, even if you go through the long and laborious de-installation process the programme will open...... but only once. Try opening it again and the process repeats over and over.

What frustrates me most as a Windows 11 user is how smoothly every piece of software runs on my PC. No problems with anything. It's always MAGIX and Acid. Is it any wonder that most music professionals slag Acid off as a piece of junk? Even if it does get going it's 99% likely to crash anyway.

SP. wrote on 10/1/2022, 9:52 AM

@Alan-Pitt The problem is, that ACID wasn't developed for Windows 11 and Microsoft continuously changes Windows. For example, there is a brand new security feature in Windows 11 that will block all programs that are not certified. Guess what now happens to old, but secure, programs then? There was already a user here that wrote that this features blocks the VST scanner.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 10/1/2022, 4:31 PM

Sp thank you once again for always answering so quickly. You really are a fantastic asset!!! We all appreciate what you do.

I get that the issue lies within Windows 11. I think it is something to do with Smart App Control (SAC) which I'm sure you know is just an extra safety feature Microsoft has launched to make windows safer. They seem fixated on making Windows as secure as possible which is good in some ways but of course, can cause these major issues too.

According to Microsoft when a developer (like Magixx) creates an app, they are encouraged to "sign" the app using a digital certificate that verifies their identity. This is to ensure that the app is really published by the original developer and that the app hasn't been tampered with by somebody else after the developer published it.

In theory that sounds great but before I have to turn off this security feature (Like the other Acid fixes to turn off or disable firewalls) does Magix have plans or indeed the ability to 'sign' Acid as an authentic software programme?

I ask because apparently, it's not just a case of enabling or disabling SAC it's either on or off.

SP. wrote on 10/1/2022, 4:48 PM

@Alan-Pitt I still hope that ACID 10 will get the same bugfixes that ACID 11 should be getting in the future. But I have no idea when this will happen. Probably when the Sound Forge team finishes the new VST engine which replaces Magix' old VST engine. It's currently in use in the new Sound Forge 16.1 version, but still very buggy.

In this case it's possible that Magix could sign ACID 10 with the new update.

But sadly, it's often the case with Magix programs, that there will be no updates to old versions. There are exceptions so, like Samplitude Pro X which sometimes gets updates even a year after a new version was already released (If enough users complain). So we all need to complain to get ACID 10 certified for Windows 11.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 10/2/2022, 2:28 AM

Hey SP thanks again. I'm using Acid Pro 11 Suite currently as I thought version 10 was out of date a while ago. So, just to confirm are you a user who is just passionate about the software or are you linked to Magix in any way? You are extremely knowledgeable about the programme but if Magix doesn't take any notice of users or the issue they face then nothing will ever change. Do they even read this forum? There seems no way to contact them about any issues with software other than through this forum.

An operating system is crucial and Microsoft will not stand still with Windows 11. They will continue to develop the OS and amend it as the future goes on so if Magix is still clinging to Windows 7 in some vain hope that enough users will not update their PCs then they will be in for a shock. It's important that developers heed the latest in security to protect their own interests as well as the safety of users. Somehow, whenever I think of Acid I just think DEAD MAN WALKING and a company who are happy to have the title alone.

SP. wrote on 10/2/2022, 3:42 AM

@Alan-Pitt I'm a Magix user since the late 1990s. I don't even have ACID installed at the moment. Magix is not monitoring this forum. But they are posting News here. And they wrote that they had stopped ACID development from mid 2020 to mid 2022. Now it's October. In Software development four months it's nothing, especially for very small teams. So it's clear they focus on products that bring revenue.

The Sound Forge development team sometimes gets messages to this forum and they said, they are working on a new VST integration for Magix which should replace the old integration in all their products.

johnebaker wrote on 10/2/2022, 4:15 AM

@Alan-Pitt

Hi

. . . . before I have to turn off this security feature (Like the other Acid fixes to turn off or disable firewalls) does Magix have plans or indeed the ability to 'sign' Acid as an authentic software programme . . . .

Magix have already updated a lot of their programs to Windows 11 certification. The process of doing so continues, however it can be time consuming ensuring all the modules within the program run correctly on Windows 11.

What Magix cannot control, and has been seen in the past and appears to be still present, is over zealous 3rd party antivirus programs detecting false positives and either block some features of the software or worst case actually stop it installing/running, in this case the AV manufacturers have to adjust their heuristic detection features once they have been notified by Magix.

John EB
Forum Moderator

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Alan-Pitt wrote on 10/2/2022, 5:14 AM

johnebaker thanks for your comment.

I don't believe the issue with Acid Pro 11 Suite is overzealous 3rd party anti-virus programmes in this instance. I can install Acid multiple times over without issue but it's actually opening the programme once installed. It works fine but then the -1 error message appears once the software has been closed and an attempt is made to open it.

I also suspect that it's not actually Windows 11 that is causing this problem as people have mentioned this error way before OS 11 was launched. Plus, Joao-Franco experienced the same -1 error code when using Windows 10 and Acid Music Studio.

It seems far more likely that Magixx has just abandoned the software which is sadly, what I feel I must do. Following in the footsteps of thousands of other users who have stopped using Acid and moved on to other software.

johnebaker wrote on 10/2/2022, 1:30 PM

@Alan-Pitt

Hi

. . . . I can install Acid multiple times over without issue but it's actually opening the programme once installed. It works fine but then the -1 error message appears once the software has been closed and an attempt is made to open it. . . . .

The number of times you re-install is not relevant, however doing this multiple times without cleaning up files, folders and registry entires can make the problems worse. For uninstalling Revo Uninstaller free is recommended, use this to launch the uninstall and then the search feature will scan for, and allow removal of, left over program parts which do not get un-installed. The uninstaller knows nothing about them as they are created on first program run.

. . . . Joao-Franco experienced the same -1 error code . . . .

The startup error -1 usually means the program cannot start because it either cannot access the Internet or access files/folders it needs to write and read temporary files to due to the antivirus program Real time/Folder/Ransomware protection feature blocking access.

Did you try the solution Joao-Franco was given?, ie followed the link to this comment.

If so and it did not work, try disabling your Antivirus Real time/Folder/Ransomware protection feature then launch Acid Pro - if you are using a 3rd party AV you will also have to disable Windows Security as well as it is still active.

If this works then the issue is with the AV program and you need to add an exception - Windows Security (Defender) and several other AV programs are known to do this and exceptions have to be added for the program to be able uses these files/folders.

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 10/2/2022, 1:35 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.