about my laptop...help please

deuce913 wrote on 11/7/2008, 11:39 AM

ok well...when i try to write anything to a data disc wether it is music, documents, or videos...when i try to send something to the cd drive a message pops up saying...E:/ is not accessible...incorrect function

why is it doing this???
ive writen things to discs this same way before but it no longer works...
the only way i can write stuff to a disc is through itunes...windows media player wont let me because it says i need to connect a burner...but windows media player has always done that...

help please!!!

this problem is on my hp compaq presario v5000 laptop running windows xp

Comments

ralftaro wrote on 11/10/2008, 12:32 PM
Hi there,

If this problem occurred as a result of installing the Magix program (with the setting to also install for restricted users), the issue is due to a small change in the Windows registry, which you just need to revert again in order to enable burning under Windows/Media Player. Here is how:

1.) You can manually change the setting back to its default value. You will have to make sure to be logged in under an administrator account and have all necessary rights. Click on the Windows XP "Start" button, choose "Run" and type "regedit" into the command prompt to start the Windows registry editor. Use the left-hand side to navigate to the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Make sure to find the right location. The Windows registry file is rather big and complex. Just take it step by step as per the registry key name above. Once you're on "Winlogon", you will see various entries on the right-hand side of the registry editor window. Find the entry "allocatecdroms" and double-click on the name. The value data should be "1" in your case. This is what is causing the problem. Change it to "0" (zero) and confirm this dialog again. Done! If you have the necessary user rights, the change will be accepted and will take effect immediately. You can close down the registry editor again. The previous burning problem shoud be resolved.

I hope this helps. Magix support also has a little downloadable fix that will basically implement the manual procedure above, thus making it a little easier.

2.) Follow these instructions:

Download the ZIP archive with two Windows registry key fixes from the following URL:

http://download.magix.net/windows_2000_xp_registry_fix_uk.zip

Extract them and apply the "activation" key fix by double-clicking it. Admin rights and a system restart are required.

Should have the same effect as procedure #1. But with the manual procedure, you have more control over what is happening and that the change was successful. Either way, you problem should be sorted using the info above.