A patch for running what we paid for off-line

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/2/2023, 3:27 PM

I'm extremely unhappy with the requirement to be online for a product I have bought a lifetime license for.
This has caused a ton of problems due to unreliable validation of my products, and really makes no sense since everything is bought and paid for. Many things fail to load without restarting the app or sometimes the entire PC.
I either own it or I'm renting it and this feels like renting.

In America, I doubt it is even legal for a vendor to require me to check in with their company because I am using a product I purchased from them.
I know Magix is chronically pirated like most software, and the pirated version will of course include every VST and sample pack but function offline.
See how ridiculous this check in system is?

Not only will I never buy anything outside the MMM app, but I get chronic advertisements for the version I bought!
This is absurd.

Comments

SP. wrote on 5/2/2023, 5:23 PM

@Jon-Marinella Yes, I don't like that either. At least the advertisements can be disabled with the gear icon in the bottom corner or via the program settings or by disabling or uninstalling the program Update Notifier.

Most content from Music Maker can be transferred to Samplitude Music Studio. This doesn't have always online DRM.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/2/2023, 5:30 PM

@Jon-Marinella Yes, I don't like that either. At least the advertisements can be disabled with the gear icon in the bottom corner or via the program settings or by disabling or uninstalling the program Update Notifier.

Most content from Music Maker can be transferred to Samplitude Music Studio. This doesn't have always online DRM.

I am switching to a different computer soon which should improve my online product validation connection but it's truly senseless and holding us hostage. I'm impoverished so my internet isn't exactly running at record speed. It also eats up resources and causes instability in the program.
I've had entire songs repeatedly default all synths to piano even though the correct synth loads and appears on the track title and icon. Also, massive swings in volume on all tracks so they were completely unusable in that state.

This PC or that one, I am sure without being bound to their server like some sort of cultic bee hive there would not be this stability issue and rewriting code so that the defaults takeover ruining the track. Then it is requiring manual repair or it reopened a half dozen times in hopes of getting lucky.

johnebaker wrote on 5/3/2023, 3:13 AM

@Jon-Marinella

Hi

. . . . I either own it or I'm renting it and this feels like renting . . . .

This is a common misunderstanding when you purchase any software -it is neither. In the case of Music Maker the program is free, you have bought a licence to use the extra content for the Edition you purchased, most of that content, as @SP. has commented, can be used with Samplitude, do ensure you have a good backup of the extra content you downloaded and installed.

. . . . advertisements for the version I bought . . . .

Uninstall Magix Cloud also known as Update Notifier, Magix Connect, Connect and Network sync?

HTH

John EB

Last changed by johnebaker on 5/3/2023, 3:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/3/2023, 1:21 PM

@Jon-Marinella

Hi

. . . . I either own it or I'm renting it and this feels like renting . . . .

This is a common misunderstanding when you purchase any software -it is neither. In the case of Music Maker the program is free, you have bought a licence to use the extra content for the Edition you purchased, most of that content, as @SP. has commented, can be used with Samplitude, do ensure you have a good backup of the extra content you downloaded and installed.

. . . . advertisements for the version I bought . . . .

Uninstall Magix Cloud also known as Update Notifier, Magix Connect, Connect and Network sync?

HTH

John EB

Uninstalling Magix Update Notifier made a significant improvement all across the board, but I still must be connected to the internet of course.
I'll keep hoping for that patch to run off-line. Other than an automated cloud storage option we can switch on, they have no right to check our license every time we operate the sofware. There is no possible way this is legal because we are not subscribing to a service.

The contract was completed upon delivery of the product after I made payment.
What they're doing is a ransom system for buying their least expensive music app.

SP. wrote on 5/3/2023, 1:26 PM

@Jon-Marinella

What they're doing is a ransom system for buying their least expensive music app.

This doesn't change anything. A lot of different software companies require an online check for verification. If you don't want to accept that stop using the software and contact customer support at infoservice@magix.net and ask them for a refund. That's the only way they will learn that users like you don't want online-DRM.

Jon-Marinella wrote on 5/3/2023, 2:44 PM

@Jon-Marinella

This doesn't change anything. A lot of different software companies require an online check for verification. If you don't want to accept that stop using the software and contact customer support at infoservice@magix.net and ask them for a refund. That's the only way they will learn that users like you don't want online-DRM.

You are being rude because my gripe is well warranted and I know a lot about commercial law AKA U.C.C. which adopted into civil jurisdiction in 49 states with Louisiana being the only exclusion.
I guarantee this is not legal in America regardless of the nation of origin.

It is a hassle and under our laws, they are making a legal claim on the property.
A quiet title action would end this granted this is all now sounding a bit ridiculous, but I do know what I am talking about and you certainly do not.
That was rude and condescending.

emmrecs wrote on 5/3/2023, 2:56 PM

@Jon-Marinella

IMO, the reply from @SP. was neither rude nor condescending. Please refrain from unnecessary criticism of the ideas suggested by other users, even if you disagree with what they write.

As to the matter of any “laws”, please remember Magix is a German company, subject exclusively to German and EU law.

As @SP. said, if you are not happy with the licence check which Magix has instituted your only option, since you accepted the EULA when you first installed the software, is to completely remove it from your computer and ask whether you might receive a refund.

Jeff
Forum Moderator (so not a Magix employee)

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

SP. wrote on 5/3/2023, 4:51 PM

@Jon-Marinella Please be aware that complaints made in this forum will not be heard by Magix. We are all just users like you. Magix support staff isn't active here. That's why I gave you their e-mail address and suggested to tell them you don't accept the online-DRM and want a refund. And get a lawyer if you want to sue them.

browj2 wrote on 5/3/2023, 5:11 PM

@Jon-Marinella

Music Maker works off-line and will give you access to all features to which you are entitled so long as the last time you exited Music Maker you were logged in, and closure was clean, not a crash before turning off access to the internet.

If you are off-line and Music Maker crashes, you will have to log back in with access to the internet.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

emmrecs wrote on 5/5/2023, 11:06 AM

@Jon-Marinella

Your most recent post has been hidden because it includes wholly unacceptable language for a public forum whose members can include minors.

Please re-read the Community rules (especially #1), to be found in the footer of every forum page, and ensure you understand, accept and follow them.

Failure to do so will result in you being permanently banned, as that rule #1 clearly states.

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Samplitude Pro X7 Suite, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam