a couple of tips for better stability?

sheppo wrote on 1/15/2021, 1:45 PM

So, I, like probably the rest of us, have spent years struggling with Acid stability. My projects are relatively simple - DJ mixes with just a few audio tracks, a couple of VSTs on each track, and some more on the master but. But for whatever reason I would always get frequent crashes when hitting play, stopping, inserting tempo changes, adjust VST parameters.. just random, and frequently.

However I've made a couple changes to the way I use Acid, actually not in an attempt to improve stability, but they appear to have have resulted in exactly that. Maybe if you're seeing the same frequent and random crashes you could try these too?

1. Prevent Acid loading the previous project on opening.

So, what I would find is that Acid would crash, then when I re-opened Acid it would either load the saved project, or the auto-saved temp project. Then Acid would crash again. Then re-loading Acid it wouldn't load the saved or temp project as it had forgotten about it, and it wouldn't crash when I manually loaded a project. Odd. In the current version I'm also seeing Acid run a quick plugin scan every time at startup. maybe related.
    1. Load Acid
    2. Options -> Preferences
    3. General Tab
    4. Untick Automatically open last project at startup
    5. click OK

2. Move so many plugins on the master bus to separate buses

My master bus would have a lot of plugins on. Some of them, such as iZotope plugins are notoriously slow at adding/removing/clicking on, etc. Some of them are super intensive on the CPU, but essentially I had all of them on one bus.
    What I found was that when I came to output my project it was getting cumbersome to master and manage, as well as dealing with automation for all those plugins on the same track. So I split my master bus plugins on to separate buses based on my workflow to export the project
    1. Create bus A and B
    2. all audio tracks route in to bus A
    3. add pre-EQ plugins to bus A, route to bus B
    4. Add post-EQ plugins to bus B, route to master
    5. and leave final compression and limiting on the master bus

Now, these two things sound totally inconsequential, but now an entire day without seeing any crashes in Acid isn't unheard of. I've in fact, this week, I've had one crash only.

Comments

SKUIX0 wrote on 2/7/2021, 10:35 PM

If rendering in real time the side chain works. So we can compose without the side chain and at the time of completion just turn on the side chain and render in real time. It is not the best in the worlds but it is a temporary outlet.

Timothy-Saxton wrote on 2/25/2022, 10:06 AM

Actually my DAW crashes ended the day I moved to another DAW system. It has everything that Acid Pro 10.0 Suite offers and I can even master in the same system without any freezes, crashes or even a slight hesitation. I purchased the Acid Pro 10.0 and upgraded to Pro 10.0 Suite 11 months ago and the second week following there was an Windows 10 upgrade which apparently corrupted the acid pro operation capabilities. I was promised by Magix that they would correct the issue with a patch, which hasn't happened yet. I suppose that Magix expects us to stop all music production until that patch arrives huh? Multiple attempts for technical support or updates has failed, I wonder if they feel it's ok to accept money for a product they can't provide? I feel totally ripped-off over this deal and can't understand why it would take this long to write a mere patch. There has to be something they're not telling us.

Yelandkeil wrote on 2/25/2022, 1:02 PM

For me I did only change one thing:

And I know why:
I mainly edit midi-files for soundtrack and these midis are downloaded from the web god knows how they created with which VSTis etc.etc. one word, they make my ACID pro sometimes crash. So I let it run in Win8-compatible modus.

I use very few FXplugins. The styling is always formed in Soundforge pro after rendered as MS-Wav (16/48kHz).

Last changed by Yelandkeil on 2/25/2022, 1:04 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

ASUS TUF Gaming B550plus BIOS3202
*Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER GF1 850W 
*ADATA XPG GAMMIX S11PRO 512GB->sys & 2TB->data 
*G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-64GFX 
*AMD Ryzen9 5950x + LiquidFreezer II-240 
*XFX Speedster-MERC319-RX6900XT <-AdrenalinEdition 24.9.1
Windows11Pro: 23H2-22631.4249; Direct3D Driver=9.17.11.0272

Samsung 2xLU28R55 300CD/m²HDR10 (peak1499nits) ->2xDPort
LG DSP7 Surround 5.1Soundbar ->TOSLINK (AAFOptimusPack 6.0.9403.1)
ROCCAT Kave 5.1Headset/Mic ->Analog

GH5s_HLG4k30p: AWB, Shutter=1/50, ISO=auto
ProtuneFlat_2.7k60pLinear: AWB, Shutter=auto, ISO=400

VEGASPro22/21 + XMediaRecode/Handbrake + DVDArchi7 
AcidPro10 + SoundForgePro14.0.065 + SpectraLayersPro7

K-LitecodecPack17.8.0 (MPC Video Renderer for HDR10-Videoplayback)