2nd Hard drive failed and cannot remove, modify or reinstal anything!

IrishLassy wrote on 9/21/2018, 1:39 PM

I have a boot drive with all programs on another SSD. It failed and that has left me in hell. I cannot uninstall ANY magic programs!! It always says failure since that drive is no longer there. I try to reinstal and get Modify or Remove. If I hit modify it says it did and byeee. Does nothing. I hit Remove and it says "Invalid Drive: I:\"
What can I possibly do? I am literally at my wits end I have tried and this is now looking at me reinstalling W10 to freaking fix it!!!

Comments

emmrecs wrote on 9/22/2018, 4:26 AM

Hi, welcome to the Magix forums.

I hope I'm understanding correctly your situation: you have a computer with two SSD drives, one, presumably C:\ is your main system drive, where Windows (which version?) is installed; the other disc, apparently I:\ (?), is where you stored your programs etc. What about where your data is stored? Assuming you have no other drives, was it also stored on the now-failed SSD?

If the above is at least basically correct you really do have a problem!

First, did you not have any sort of local, or better, remote back-up regime in place for your computer? If you did, and it included your now-failed drive, it might be possible to remove the faulty drive, fit a replacement and then copy all the contents of the old drive to the new one. (You may then have to go through the hoops of some level of re-registering at least some of your programs because the new SSD will be seen as a hardware change.) If not, once you have resolved your current situation I would strongly urge you to investigate this. On my computer I have both a local back-up and a cloud-based back-up in place; I can't imagine not having this type of safety net to allow for recovery from hardware failures.

Second, since I've never (yet) had to face the scenario you're seeing, I can't guarantee this will work but I would guess the fact that you can't Repair, Modify or remove any Magix program is because the installer logs will be pointing to your failed drive. In which case I would find, download and install the free version of Revo Uninstaller, point it to one of your programs and see what it does! (The Pro, paid for, version is more "comprehensive", is, IMO, an excellent buy but may not be needed here.) Essentially, it searches through all the applicable files/folders/registry entries on your computer and lists them for removal; you have to decide which of each type of item you wish to delete.

If the above is not successful then I fear your only other option may well be to wipe your main system drive and then to reinstall Windows! 😱  Not something to be contemplated lightly! (Not to mention the "fun" of having to then reinstall all your programs!)

BTW, I would thoroughly concur with your current set-up of having programs installed to a separate drive to Windows. I have exactly that scenario, except that my system drive is an SSD and all others (two internal and three external) are standard or USB HDDs. In addition to the back-up regime noted earlier I also have a utility installed, Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, which continuously monitors the condition of ALL my drives and will alert me when it detects one is not working at its optimal or, indeed, is coming close to catastrophic failure. Unfortunately, all drives, especially SSDs, apparently, can fail without warning if not monitored!

HTH

Jeff
Forum Moderator

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

IrishLassy wrote on 9/22/2018, 5:00 PM

I have 7 drives sata connected, hotswapping the dorment backups:
C OS SSD
E Libraries SSD
F Backup primary files #1 5400rpm
G Gaming 7200rpm
H Backup primary files #2 5400rpm
I SSD which got rekt. Had documents (backed up to 3 other drives) and some programs that needed a lil speed like the Magix.
J Gaming SSD

I didn't bother to backup programs because usually you can just redownload and install lol. I don't do cloud storage, nor do I trust many programs on my system. Anything sketchy is on the VMs. In the end I just reinstalled the OS. May as well, it's been a year since the last time. Nice to get a spring clean on the regedit lol. It's easy enough to reinstal thankfully. Things like steam just require the installation of the primary program and they will then allow you to add the libraries. No huge download needed of all the games!