Clicks & pops while playing back imported MP3s

dimitri-l schreef op 14.11.2021 om 12:54 uur

Hardware:

DESKTOP-48PQPOC

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10400 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz

8,00 GB RAM

Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd Gen (connected with USB 3.0)

Software:

Windows 10: 64-bit, x64-processor

Magix Samplitude 2022 Version 27.0.0.11 (DP3)

Problem:

After switching from Ausio4All (line-output) to the Focusrite interface I’m experiencing jittering or clicking sounds when playbacking imported audio tracks (Mp3 or Wav) at 192 buffersize. When switching to 512 samples that problem is resolved, but obviously the latency becomes an issue during recording.

Strangely enough those clicks and pops don’t appear when I just work with self recorded audio or midi tracks, so it’s not that my system can’t deal with the processing. It only happens with imported MP3s, even if they are played as the only track in the VIP. This issue didn’t appear before when I worked with the PC’s soundcard, so it is connected to the Focusrite, but the Focusrite works perfectly for all other audio software. No issues whatsoever.  

What I’ve tried myself without proper results:

- Changing the quality of the mp3s, so maybe it can process them more easily.

- Converting the mp3s into WAVs.

- Updating the drivers of the Focusrite (was already the latest version when first installed).

- Connecting the interface to different USB ports.

Since there’s only an issue with Samplitude, it has to be software related, right?

Any ideas, anyone?

Reacties

SP. schreef op 15.11.2021 om 17:06 uur

@dimitri-l You can check your system with LatencyMon if there is some bottleneck that creates problems.

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

I wouldn't recommend using ASIO4All for your Focusrite.

I use also a Focusrite Scarlett (my version is a 2i4) with the Focusrite drivers and my buffer size is 512 samples or even higher for bigger projects. I think that for lower sizes like 128 samples you need a really optimized system.

dimitri-l schreef op 15.11.2021 om 17:59 uur

Thanks for your suggestion. Based on your suggestions I did install the Latencymon and while I was playing back my VIP-project at 192 samples and hearing tons of pops and clicks, it reported that my system is suitable for handling realtime audio without dropouts.

Strange.

SP. schreef op 15.11.2021 om 20:26 uur

@dimitri-l

Ok, it sounds like your system is good enough. I would suggest you try to change the Multi-CPU-Support and core number settings and the ASIO priority boost option in the Performance settings inside the program settings until you find something that works fine with 192 samples.