Roberto-Goncalves Posté à 28/03/2024 14:21

Hi

VPX
acquisition ($159)
upgrade ($109)

Vegas Pro (Edit)
acquisition ($149)
upgrade ($99)

I didn't understand these VPX prices: since its strong point is basically intuition, shouldn't it offer a lower price precisely in this difficult phase? (Competitor Vegas probably sells more and will continue to lead by offering a lower price!)

Xara photo & graphic designer v17,v18 and v20(lifetime)

i7-8565U CPU & 1.80GHz / 16GB RAM / Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 /Windows 10 Pro 22H2 / PowerDirector 4 years v12,v13,v15 Vegas MS Platinum 3 years v15,v17 Magix Movie Studio Platinum 1 year v2023,v2024

Commentaires

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 14:33

I wouldn't necessarily consider Vegas Pro competition for Video Pro X. They are marketed towards different clientele. I consider VPX a more "upscale" editor offering a taste of what "pros" use but still remain familiar to MMS users. Sort of like how Vegas Movie Studio was for Vegas Pro.

Vegas Pro is more "professional" (ok, waiting for @browj2 to chime in), with it's included codec support, editing, etc. and is marketed to a different group of editors. One trip to their webpages and you can see what each offers and who it is marketed to.

Both are tools and are only as good as the person using them.

For "me", price isn't the issue. It is what I prefer to use and what is offered. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Roberto-Goncalves Posté à 28/03/2024 14:51

who is orange and who is apple?

i7-8565U CPU & 1.80GHz / 16GB RAM / Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 /Windows 10 Pro 22H2 / PowerDirector 4 years v12,v13,v15 Vegas MS Platinum 3 years v15,v17 Magix Movie Studio Platinum 1 year v2023,v2024

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 15:03

Some people like oranges more than apples. I like them both. Depending on the day of the week, I'll like one more than the other. It's like that with software for me. I'll use what I think will be easier to use for what I want to do.

That $10 difference in price doesn't reflect on the software. Use what works for you.

Roberto-Goncalves Posté à 28/03/2024 15:11

Regarding your placement, I found the comparison interesting
and here goes nutritional information (amount per 100 grams)

Apples ..................... Oranges
Calories 52 ----------------> 47
Total Fat 0.2 g -------------> 0.1 g
Saturated Fats 0 g-----------> 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg ------------> 0 mg
Sodium 1 mg -----------------> 0 mg
Potassium 107 mg ------------> 181 mg
Carbohydrates 14 g ----------> 12 g
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g ---------> 2.4 g
Sugar 10 g ------------------> 9 g
Proteins 0.3 g --------------> 0.9 g
Vitamin C 4.6 mg ------------> 53.2 mg
Calcium 6 mg ----------------> 40 mg
Iron 0.1 mg -----------------> 0.1 mg
Vitamin D 0 IU --------------> 0 IU
Vitamin B6 0 mg -------------> 0.1 mg
Cobalamin 0 µg --------------> 0 µg
Magnesium 5 mg --------------> 10 mg
basically orange has + vitamin C and calcium

I'm worried about the next one! I migrated to Magix and I hope they boost sales to stay on track, especially because I consider "intuition" to be fundamental in the publishing operation. Otherwise you will have to consult the manual etc...

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 15:19

"Intuitive" is purely subjective based on your past experiences. Some people find Davinci Resolve "intuitive". And while I can edit with it, I don't find it "intuitive".

I don't know the software you migrated from. But use what you have and while we all have concerns on the future of any software we own and use, it's not the "end of the world" if updates cease.

I've had many different editing software over the 3 decades of editing. I am certainly not using the first editor I ever used and was quite familiar with it, back in 1990. It was the Amiga/Video Toaster. It was tough moving on from it. I had to move from a different computer OS (using Amiga OS) to... ugh... the dark side.... Windows, and the DPS Editbay.

Roberto-Goncalves Posté à 28/03/2024 16:39

If you have been editing for 3 decades, how important is the order in the timeline from bottom to top? Most editing software is just the opposite! For those who use more than one program (not my case), it may get in the way of day-to-day running. If I have to go back to Vegas, it will get in the way again.
I don't have your editing experience. I started with powerdirector (4 years), then migrated to VMS (3 years / best interface) and 1 year of MMS (understood the basics) due to discontinuation of VMS, otherwise I would have continued! Given the need to better manage a project, it makes a lot of difference (just like VMS) I tried it and I liked VPX because I consider this issue of managing project folders to be important to me, which is missing in MMS. I just didn't migrate to VPX because they didn't fix the bug involved (transferring clip from timeline to project folder). This issue caught my attention. It is not by chance that the problem with Magix appeared. It's all connected! The development team must have changed and only with time will we know. Really, $10 per unit doesn’t make a difference! But the VPX website contains a community of 100,000 video makers. So 100,000 x $10 starts to make a difference! Or not?

CubeAce Posté à 28/03/2024 18:41

@Reyfox @Roberto-Goncalves

Hi.

Two things I noticed.

I thought VPX would always now ship with the New Blue Total Effects package. That no longer seems to be the case so not as much of a bargain as in the past. I'm glad I got a perpetual version of that plugin.

Second, that the MMS offer has been extended as it should have ended on the 26th and still has the same Movie Studio 2024 Suite package offer.

Personally I think if you have come from any audio editing package worth it's salt (as opposed to apples or oranges 🤣) having a track layout where tracks do not have to be in any particular order (at least for audio) then it is not a big leap to figure out the video side of things. I have rarely had to look at the manual for MMS or VPX with it's plug and play interface which is much more in keeping to using vsts in a music daw than having to route plugins by connecting virtual leads or similar as you find in some other video editing software. It doesn't take a genius to work out if you can't see one clip in the same position on a timeline on different tracks which order of priority is given to track order.

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4412 Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1000 watt EVGA modular power supply.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 555.99. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

Running MEP Premium 21.0.2.138 and VPX 20.0.3.180 (UDP3)

M Audio Axiom AIR Mini MIDI keyboard Ver 5.10.0.3507

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Ram Acoustic Studio speakers amplified by NAD amplifier.

Rogers LS7 speakers run from Cambridge Audio P50 amplifier

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 20:22

@CubeAce @Roberto-Goncalves

Greetings.

I can only relate to how I see things. I've had Studio 9-15Ultimate (7 versions), Pinnacle Edition (FAST)-Avid Liquid Pro (4 version), Avid Studio-Pinnacle Studio 26 Ultimate (12 versions), Pinnacle DV500 Plus with Premiere, PowerDirector from mid 2010's (2 versions), Videostudio Pro various versions with VS2023 Ultimate being the last (8 versions), Movie Edit Pro 2015,16, VPX12,14, MMS 2022, 24Suite, DPS Editbay, Vegas Pro 14-21, Davinci Resolve Studio 17-18.6, Lightworks Pro for a couple of years, and I am sure I've forgotten something.

So I've adapted to the software, not the software to me. I edit the way the software is programmed and how it edits. And the software that allows editing keybinds, I've never done that. I just learned the different keystrokes. Repeating the process, I then know "how".

As for track layout in editing, my preference is how it is called. An overlay is just that. Placed over the main video track. While I can edit with any software I've used, and can learn to edit with any software, the preferred software I use is more professional in nature. It always has been, affording me more flexibility in editing. So that means track layout and editing like Vegas/Resolve/Pinnacle Studio/Avid Liquid/Premiere/Lightworks Pro.

Also, you do know that Vegas Pro started out as a DAW (Sonic Foundry). And I know one person who still uses it as such.

johnebaker Posté à 28/03/2024 20:42

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi

. . . . how important is the order in the timeline from bottom to top?  . . . .

There is one basic rule to follow- whatever is on a higher track number, with the exception of audio, is on top of video/images on a lower track number.

Track 1 is the background or 'base' 'layer'. Standard practice is this is where the main movie components are assembled.

After that the above rule applies to images, video and titles only.

Audio can be anywhere, however it is not good practice to put it on track 1 and/or mix audio with video/images/titles on the same track.

I prefer the audio to be on the next free track after adding video/images, titles and collages depending on the project this could be anywhere from track 5 or higher.

John EB

Dernière modification de johnebaker le 28/03/2024, 20:43, Modifié 2 fois au total.

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

browj2 Posté à 28/03/2024 22:23

@Roberto-Goncalves

Hi Roberto,

Magix is almost giving away Movie Studio Platinum and Suite, especially the upgrades. Perhaps 2025 is coming out soon. Yes, Vegas is currently being offered at a discount, VPX is not so much.

Given the problem with the Project Temp Folder (most annoying) you may want to wait to see if Magix makes a better offering once the current discounts for other products has expired. Perhaps with Mercalli v6.

You can ask Magix if they intend to fix the PTF problem with 15 - and soon.

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Starting at the end, you do know that Magix started out as a DAW (or DAW light) with Music Maker, which sprung out of:

The meeting of two developers from Dresden at a technology school and two entrepreneurs from West Germany in 1993, resulted in something like a "Big Bang" with respect to bringing multimedia into everyday life. The algorithm of the professional program Samplitude was adjusted to create Music Maker, a program that could be used by anyone. This event marked the birth of MAGIX.

Music Maker came out in 1994. Movie Edit Pro followed in 1997. Given the expertise of the founders, this probably explains why the audio part of MEP/VPX is as good as it is. It could be better. Magix has the high-level DAW expertise with their audio products - up to Samplitude Pro X and Sequoia. MEP/VPX should benefit more from this, I would hope, and still hope. Somewhere along the way, a long time ago, Magix acquired Samplitude.

I am just about to purchase Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; I have been playing with the trial. Then again, the price is rather steep for a retiree. I just found out that there is a way in Samplitude to get and use all of the VSTi's that I got with Music Maker in Samplitude. The pot was sweetened.

As for target markets, Magix has stated that Vegas is targeting professionals, but probably not Professional Civil Engineers (me). The Magix suite, starting with PhotoStory is aimed at those wanting to create videos using mostly photos, with nothing too sophisticated. Movie Studio targets home video makers up to pros who don't need sophisticated tools but want good editing tools and content. VPX was targeting home video maker enthusiasts and professionals, not needing sophisticated tools but still wanting a lot.

The thing is, Vegas is also trying to target home video makers, including novices who don't need and won't ever figure how to use sophisticated tools. MMS and even VPX would be more suitable for these users, in my opinion.

As an enthusiast, I look at Vegas and say to myself, is there something that I need to do, can't do it in VPX but can in Vegas? There are things in Vegas that would be nice to have, but do I need them, would I use them? I look at Vegas and say to myself, in the main part of editing, are there things that I do and use regularly in VPX that cannot be done or be done as easily in Vegas? Of course, I do have Vegas just in case.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

CubeAce Posté à 28/03/2024 22:52

@Roberto-Goncalves @Reyfox @browj2 @johnebaker

The tools in any of the video editing programs are all similar in use. Some editors provide additional options for some of those plugins but most are if you get used to them in one program you will soon get used to them in another program. It is the connectivity element of these nodes that can become difficult, over complicated, and up to a point unfathomable without some of us referring to a manual to find out how and in sometimes what order certain applications need to be applied. But given enough time and practice with enough variation of programs and soon any editing package would be easy to adapt to although mastering its use to a professional level may be a different story.

Other things that change are the technologies behind all of these abilities. I think one of the first effects to be made redundant will be green screen. You can already separate selected items / people with good accuracy and easy to apply AI masks with tools provided either by free third party apps or via supported graphics card apps such as nvidia supply. Well maybe not replace green screen completely but in time who knows?

Ray.

Windows 10 Enterprise. Version 22H2 OS build 19045.4412 Direct X 12.1 latest hardware updates for Western Digital hard drives.

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming motherboard Rev 1.xx with Supreme FX inboard audio using the S1220A code. Driver No 6.0.8960.1 Bios version 1401

Intel i9900K Coffee Lake 3.6 to 5.1GHz CPU with Intel UHD 630 Graphics .Driver version Graphics Driver 31.0.101.2128 for 7th-10th Gen Intel® with 64GB of 3200MHz Corsair DDR4 ram.

1 x 250GB Evo 970 NVMe: drive for C: drive backup 1 x 1TB Sabrent NVMe drive for Operating System / Programs only. 1X WD BLACK 1TB internal SATA 7,200rpm hard drives.1 for internal projects, 1 for Library clips/sounds/music/stills./backup of working projects. 1x500GB SSD current project only drive, 2x WD RED 2TB drives for latest footage storage. Total 21TB of 8 external WD drives for backup.

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. nVidia Studio driver version 555.99. - 3584xCUDA cores Direct X 12.1. Memory interface 192bit Memory bandwidth 360.05GB/s 12GB of dedicated GDDR6 video memory, shared system memory 16307MB PCi Express x8 Gen3. Two Samsung 27" LED SA350 monitors with 5000000:1 contrast ratios at 60Hz.

VXP 14, MEP 2022, Vegas Studio 16, Vegas Pro 18, Cubase 4. CS6, NX Studio, Mixcraft 9 Pro.

Audio System 5 x matched bi-wired 150 watt Tannoy Reveal speakers plus one Tannoy 15" 250 watt sub with 5.1 class A amplifier. Tuned to room with Tannoy audio application.

Schrodinger's Backup. "The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted."

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 23:12

@browj2 Vegas everyone knows. It's been extensively pirated all over the place. So an awful lot of people know about it. I think that the Humble Bundle is a gateway to getting legal software with an upgrade path for a cheap price.

Vegas has always been "geared" for the more "upscale" editor with it's codecs, ACES, compositing, plugin support, etc.. But now, they are looking for people just starting out too. Simplifying the UI for one. Having a lot of built in features to help someone get started. And that person has the ability to expand over time to more complex editing if they want. That is the reason to buy Vegas Pro.

The one difference is, built in templates/assets that VPX has. As I've wrote before, I am not adverse about using them if they fit what I want. For the home/enthusiast user, they can be a benefit along with being a great time saver.

But once you get a taste of OFX (BorisFX Continuum Complete is totally awesome), compositing, Z-depth, adjustment track, extensive color grading tools, Project Notes, Split Screen View (essential for comparing a before/after on a clip), masking, etc.,it's hard to take a step back. Is Vegas for everyone? Maybe. Depends on what someone wants to do and how far they want to go in editing. That's the advantage of Vegas. Back in the States, I owned a Kawasaki ZX 14 motorcycle. The quickest production motorcycle on the planet, with a nice soft comfy seat. Does that mean I use all of it's power all the time? Nope. But there are times when.... and it did. Never lost a race in the 3 years, 45,000 miles I put on it. I've edited with less capable editors and got paid for the work with clients loving it. It's a tool. But some tools can do more than others, and do it easier.

I know for some people, switching is hard. But I've had so many different editors (see my post above), I feel I can learn anything. And the only way to learn it is to spend time with it, exploring, and trying something "new". For sure, there are some things that Resolve Studio does better than Vegas. So I will use it for that. But for pure editing, Vegas for me wins every time.

The video below was done entirely in Vegas Pro.

Reyfox Posté à 28/03/2024 23:24

@CubeAce, AI is coming whether we want it or not. Vegas has already started implementing it.

You are right, there is a lot of similar tools in all editing software. Color tools, transitions, titling, green screen, etc.. It is how far you want to go with the software. Take a look at the color grading panel in Vegas vs VPX. And the one in VP21 is more extensive than VP18/19/20. How far does someone want to go. For a lot of people, MMS is all they want. End of story. Others, want to do more. We know those people. They start with software, and eventually move on to more upscale software. I've seen Vegas people move totally to Resolve for various features that are missing in Vegas. And once they are there, they start to learn "how", and transition totally to Resolve. I have both. Many in Vegas forum have both and use the strengths of each of them. But this is higher end editing.

There used to be room for a lot of software. Not so much anymore. Videostudio Pro and Pinnacle Studio are gone. What's left? Is Magix getting those users? They should market to them, especially the VS crowd with a good cross-grade option for them.

browj2 Posté à 29/03/2024 00:27

@Reyfox

Hi,

Take a look at the color grading panel in Vegas vs VPX.

What colour (Brit/Cdn spelling) grading panel in VPX? I presume that you mean the Brightness/Contrast, Color, and the 3-wheel Color Correction effects, plus the others - Levels and LAB Color. Combined with instruments (which could be much better), the tools in VPX probably exceed the needs and skill of most users. Add in LUTs, and we're good. Well, actually, no, because LUTs don't show you what tools were used and how. Add in Pixelan FilmTouch 2 Pro, and you've got a thousand +/- examples like LUTs, but you know exactly which tools were used and you can tweak them - way beyond the skill level of most mortals. So, with a Plugin, the colour grading features are quite extensive. But probably seldom used by most users.

LAB color - I just discovered the desaturate tool!

Split Screen View (essential for comparing a before/after on a clip)

Yes, but in VPX it's not a split screen, it's the whole screen - try it. Open the hamburger menu in the source monitor, select Comparison Image - Selected object without effects as shown below in my exaggerated example.

Hmmm, I think that my current project could use some help as everything looks a bit dull, like the cloudy day it was when I filmed the trip. And I should have cleaned the car windshield (my wife thought the GoPro lens was dirty) and gotten the muffler repaired. I did manage to reduce the noise a bit and keep the dialogue. But, that's a different problem.

I wouldn't be too quick to count out VideoStudio and Pinnacle Studio. I did that with PS a dozen years ago when I switched to Magix.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2024 with MM2023 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

CubeAce Posté à 29/03/2024 01:45

@Reyfox

Hi.

Yes AI is going to quickly become the next big thing to video and audio.

I was watching a video just a few days ago with someone using the paid version of DaVinci Resolve quickly, easily and not even draw an accurate mask around a person and separating / replacing the background.

My current main DAW comes with Melodyne to change audio to MIDI or tune bad vocals, and a tool for separating stereo mixes into stems similar to the one @browj2 showed us a couple of months back as a standard part of the editor. That came with the latest bug fixes. In fact they don't release a new version every year but do update regularly with bug fixes or additional free content. The program is still not as flexible in use as Cubase but requested new features by the community do eventually seem to get incorporated if the request seems popular. Official support to problems are also quickly dealt with. I have had three replied to being s relatively new user and all were answered within an hour. (As long as it is a week day).

An AI vocalist has just hit the market that you can sing into a mic and then it gives back a professional version with either a male or female voice of your choice. That can be further edited to include additional expression, vibrato etc. Or if you can play an instrument, play the vocal part, add the text for the lyrics into the MIDI parts produced and do it that way. At present the only version around seems to be subscription only but give it a few months for competition to appear.

Some of this AI stuff is a bit hairy around the edges but it is getting better very quickly. By today's standards I am willing to bet that within two years most of that will be up to today's best techniques assuming the original footage is quality enough.

Ray.

johnebaker Posté à 29/03/2024 12:35

@CubeAce

Hi Ray

. . . . Yes AI is going to quickly become the next big thing to video and audio . . . .

'The Running Man' predicted this back in 1987.

John EB

VPX 15, Movie Studio 2024, 2023, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB HDD (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Reyfox Posté à 29/03/2024 13:00

@browj2

I never underestimate the skills of any editor. Nor assume that the tools that are present in any editor are beyond their skill level. While these may be enough for some, it's not enough for everyone. That is why more comprehensive tools exist. The more someone wants to learn about their craft, they will look at all aspects of it. Certainly a lot can be done in VPX. I don't doubt it. But there are some that tweak and tweak and tweak to get things where they want them. Without the tools to do this, they are left with what is only available. Heck, why do you think many love Resolve? It's color grading/correcting tools, which are more comprehensive than just about everything out there.

Here is what is in Vegas Pro. And there is more in this panel. Plenty of options.

About using plugins. While I do like Pixelan, their prices are exceptional, take a look at Boris FX BCC+ Film Stocks. Yes, you can choose a film stock (there are hundreds) and tweak away. There is also BCC+Looks. I guess to sort of compete with Magic Bullet Looks, which I also have, albeit an old, non-subcription version. That has zillions of looks for free on the internet, and they all can be tweaked.

On to the split screen to compare. Of course you can always turn the effect on and off in both editors. Easy. But where are your scopes? I work with them to check levels all the time. I want to see them (all the time) when adjusting the color space. I don't want things too "hot" or too "cool". Scopes is the tool that is used. Now, if there is a way to see them at all times, please tell me how.

And on the subject of "how", I personally am not a fan of all the thumbnails shown on a clip. In Vegas, I have "head and tail" selected. That is all that I need. Is this possible in VPX? Can I give a name to a track? What I do like in VPX is the ability to simply lock a track with one mouse click. Can't do that in Vegas. I've asked as a feature request, but was told the it isn't as easy as one would think. But we can lock a track. It's just more cumbersome, really, a pain.

VPX is a very good editing tool. Better than MMS.

As for Pinnacle Studio and Videostudio Pro... remember, I've been a beta tester for the last 13 years (S15-PS26). I am more than quite intimate of the software. Videostuido Pro, a beta tester for the last 5 years. And while they are good editing software, with Pinnacle more of an enthusiast editor, they are no longer in development.

@CubeAce yeah, Resolve is an amazing editor for sure. I have it, doodled with it, and still can't get a grasp of nodes. Masking in Vegas

Dernière modification de Reyfox le 29/03/2024, 13:14, Modifié 1 fois au total.

Win 11 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB

32GB Corsair 3200 RAM

Two 1TB NVME, 2TB SSD, 6GB Mechanical Storage, 5TB Backup

johnebaker Posté à 29/03/2024 13:58

@Reyfox

Hi

. . . . But where are your scopes? . . . .

Hidden in the Source monitor, and you can turn any combination of them on

OT: do you remember the 'disaster' version PS 10?

John EB

browj2 Posté à 29/03/2024 15:21

@CubeAce

Hi Ray,

Yes, AI, or A eye. For a moment I thought that you were talking about Al with an L. Here is what I got this am when I opened Edge:

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Further to what John EB showed, you can't have both the scopes and the comparison screen open at the same time, but you can use the shortcuts to quickly go from one to the other. I just noticed that numpad 7 is the shortcut for the scopes. I must remember this.

And on the subject of "how", I personally am not a fan of all the thumbnails shown on a clip. In Vegas, I have "head and tail" selected. That is all that I need. Is this possible in VPX? 

Yes, Program settings (both VPX/MMS), Video/Audio tab, under Timeline, checkbox for Simple video object display (first and last image).

Try this in either VPX/MMS. With a clip on the timeline, trim the head and tail. With it selected, Shift+N. That is the object editor. You can see the first and last frames, put in fades to exact frames, move the object content left and right, move the object left and right, trim/untrim the object, and see the first and last frames. You can quickly switch to the Edit Trimmer by clicking on the left or right scissors. I did a tutorial showing this.

Yes, Pixelan prices are pretty good compared to Boris Continuum.

BTW, on my old Surface Pro 4, I have BCC OFX. I recall installing it at one time, unpaid for so I get a big red X on the screen. I tried several and they work.

Magic Bullet Looks - we got the cheap version, Quick Looks, years ago with either MEP or VPX. I have it on my Surface Pro, not the desktop. I have the full one in Pinnacle Studio. I have other plugins in PS that I never got or never got the full version for MEP/VPX, like Knoll Light Factory.

Can I give a name to a track?

Yes, in both MMS/VPX. In the latest version, Magix modified the header so that the track name was at the top. I had complained about having to make tracks higher to see the track name. I guess there were enough complaints to cause Magix to change it.

In the image below, coloured tracks (one of my templates) and objects. Yes, you can change the colour of objects as well. Also, you can see the track names in the track header. You can also change the name of the object in the properties - the selected object is Apples..., which is a name change by me - does not affect the object filename.

On that same topic, naming, and further to what Roberto and I mentioned about the Project Temp Folder, you can change the names in the PTF and add a description. In my tutorials, I have a few presentation objects, like an arrow and animated circular brush. They are in the PTF with the names assigned by me, sometimes more than once if I use different sizes, like Arrow 35 and Arrow 25.

The bug that we mentioned is what I consider to be a dumb bug, to be polite. You replied in another thread about some bugs being difficult for programmers to repair, etc. But a dumb bug is something relatively simple that worked, but the programmer broke. In this particular case, there was a problem in one version with putting trimmed clips from the Media Pool into the PTF (it worked fine in the previous version). The bug was that it would always start at the beginning of the clip and not at the trim point if the head was trimmed back. But, at least the duration was correct. Magix fixed this, so now the In point was correct, but they broke the duration and it's now 1 second long. This is just plain dumb, should never have happened, and should have been fixed as soon as it was pointed out. We've been waiting for a fix for many months now, since VPX15 came out as it was flagged right away.

@johnebaker

Hi John EB,

I started with PS v9 in 2004, then upgraded to 9 Ultimate Bundle in early 2005. They sent me a box with a green screen, since disappeared. I skipped v10. The next that I see in my records is 14, then 17, 18, 21, 23. I was sure that I had 12, but I can't find any record of it.

John CB

John C.B.

johnebaker Posté à 29/03/2024 16:44

@browj2

Hi John

. . . . I just noticed that numpad 7 is the shortcut for the scopes. I must remember this. . . .

Did you set this as a custom shortcut key?

Keyboard 7 default is All tracks mouse mode, I swap All tracks and single track around - makes more sense to me.

Number pad 7 does nothing when Num lock is on and when off is the Home key.

The only Num Pad numbers assigned by default are 4 Jump to previous key frame, 5 Place key frame and 6 Jump to next key frame

Added: You did well to miss PS v10 it was a total 🏀🏀🏀🏀 ☝️☝️ .

John EB

Dernière modification de johnebaker le 29/03/2024, 16:52, Modifié 1 fois au total.

Reyfox Posté à 29/03/2024 17:04

@johnebaker sure do remember the disaster of S10! The forum were "hot" about it. Heck, I loved the Smartsound revolt after they removed it and replaced it with Scorefitter. I remember Pinnacle offering Edition for $55. Jumped on it, struggled with the lack of a "Windows" UI. Glad I did. Avid Liquid Pro 7.x was wonderful! I was sort of "depressed" when its replacement, Avid Studio came out. Beta testing it, I was hoping for more.

@browj2

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

Further to what John EB showed, you can't have both the scopes and the comparison screen open at the same time, but you can use the shortcuts to quickly go from one to the other. I just noticed that numpad 7 is the shortcut for the scopes. I must remember this.

And on the subject of "how", I personally am not a fan of all the thumbnails shown on a clip. In Vegas, I have "head and tail" selected. That is all that I need. Is this possible in VPX? 

Yes, Program settings (both VPX/MMS), Video/Audio tab, under Timeline, checkbox for Simple video object display (first and last image).

Absolutely BRILLIANT! I don't know how many times I combed through the settings and never noticed it! Awesome! Just changed it. Thanks!

Try this in either VPX/MMS. With a clip on the timeline, trim the head and tail. With it selected, Shift+N. That is the object editor. You can see the first and last frames, put in fades to exact frames, move the object content left and right, move the object left and right, trim/untrim the object, and see the first and last frames. You can quickly switch to the Edit Trimmer by clicking on the left or right scissors. I did a tutorial showing this.

Nice feature. But I am one of those with a "Ginsu" knife when it comes to trimming. It's automatic to me.

Yes, Pixelan prices are pretty good compared to Boris Continuum.

There is no argument there. But with Boris, there is so much more. While the initial cost of say Continuum Complete might be high, if you have Vegas with some of the Units, and contact them on Black Friday week, they have great offers. I bought Continuum Complete several years ago for under $200. Then, upgrading on BF for around $150. And they are always adding to it. Always.

BTW, on my old Surface Pro 4, I have BCC OFX. I recall installing it at one time, unpaid for so I get a big red X on the screen. I tried several and they work.

Magic Bullet Looks - we got the cheap version, Quick Looks, years ago with either MEP or VPX. I have it on my Surface Pro, not the desktop. I have the full one in Pinnacle Studio. I have other plugins in PS that I never got or never got the full version for MEP/VPX, like Knoll Light Factory.

Maxon has some really high subscription prices for MBLooks. While I still have the non-subscription from many years ago. With Pinnacle Studio, they had the Red Giant Filmmakers kit (Cosmo, Looks, Mojo), and Graphics Toolkit (Knoll Light Factory and Warp). Collected a ton of "Looks" back then.

Can I give a name to a track?

Yes, in both MMS/VPX. In the latest version, Magix modified the header so that the track name was at the top. I had complained about having to make tracks higher to see the track name. I guess there were enough complaints to cause Magix to change it.

Ok...after making the tracks bigger, I see that I can name the track. But they have to be (from the track height selection) big.

I started with PS v9 in 2004, then upgraded to 9 Ultimate Bundle in early 2005. They sent me a box with a green screen, since disappeared. I skipped v10. The next that I see in my records is 14, then 17, 18, 21, 23. I was sure that I had 12, but I can't find any record of it.

John CB

For me with Pinnacle, the last version I would recommend was PS23. They made changes in PS24-26 that just didn't work right. In spite of the beta testers complaining, it fell on deaf "ears".

Now... can those scopes always remain in view? Previewing a clip removes them. I tried the Num 7 on the numeric keyboard, and it was a no-go trying to get the scopes back.

browj2 Posté à 29/03/2024 17:40

@Reyfox

Hi Tony,

About the Object Trimmer, the main point is that you can set the exact number of frames for fades. Can't do that in Vegas - this was discussed in a thread a while back.

Same with the Edit Trimmer for transitions, you can control the exact number of frames for a transition and see the start/end frame of each side of the transition.

Track names, as I mentioned, the placement of the name at the top of the header was new in VPX15. You have VPX14.

Scopes, no they can't always stay in view if you want to preview from the Media Pool Import. However, I just tested VPX15, put up the scopes, previewed a clip from the Media Pool, pressed numpad 7 and the scopes were back.

John CB

John C.B.

Reyfox Posté à 29/03/2024 18:19

You can set the exact number of frames for a fade in Vegas or any other editor. Place one clip on top of the other. Expand the timeline to see if you want, single frames. You know what the last frame is and the first frame each clip, and how long the transition will be. Or adjust using the fade offset. This screenshot, the fade is 21 frames. Also, see how many "styles" of a basic fade is available.

No matter what version of Vegas you have, track names are easy to add without (at least with VPX14) adjusting the track height. If there was a setting where all the track heights would show the naming, that would be great. Other than that, resizing each track is a pain, and the Large setting is way too big.

Having the scopes visible is a "must" for me since I adjust color with them. Sadly the numpad 7 does nothing in VPX14.

browj2 Posté à 29/03/2024 18:58

@Reyfox

Tony,

You can set the exact number of frames for a fade in Vegas or any other editor. Place one clip on top of the other. Expand the timeline to see if you want, single frames.

That is labourious for a simple task. Why not just have a tool that shows fade duration and allows adjustments? Remember, I said that this was discussed on the Vegas forum.

Just showing you what is in VPX/MMS that you may not know about. I recall a couple of users from VMS, back when the VMS "upgrade" to Magix started, complaining that in going to Magix MS, they wouldn't be able to edit to the frame level any more and that everything was by template or some such thing. Obviously false.

In Vegas, abut 2 untrimmed clips - the first one with visible action at the end of it. Apply a crossfade. Normally, the right object would be moved to the left to make the crossfade. Instead Vegas inserts a still frame (the last frame) for the duration of the transition. Very strange. Not something that I would want by default. When you know about this, you can adjust your workflow for it, but if you don't know about it... Again, this was discussed on the Vegas forum.

John CB

John C.B.