(Inability to) Control Playback volume

emmrecs escrito el 30.11.PM a las 12:44 horas

Music Maker Premium 31.0.2.21.

In checking out the problem raised by another user re the Magix Audio Remote Control I encountered an issue I've never heard before: namely ALL the "controls" for overall volume within MM and on my computer had no effect whatsoever in the volume of audio produced. (I have now uninstalled the Remote Control app from my phone so that is not the issue, unfortunately. It would be great, and easily resolved, if it was!)

This screenshot was taken whilst MM was playing back a very simple project. Notice where the highlighted faders are set to, and yet I was nearly being deafened (nothing was soloed).

As you can see, the fader in the Transport bar is at -inf, as are the mixer master faders. But the track is clearly still playing as witnessed by the meters (and my ears!)

These are my audio driver settings; nothing has changed here for many months:

I do have also, in the SysTray, clicking the speaker icon, access to a volume control specifically for my MOTU Interface; it is set to -inf (muted) and I still hear the music, very loudly!

Bottom line: suddenly, and for the first time ever I have NO control at all over the playback loudness of an MM project.

I have verified that is NOT a problem with my computer, by playing an audio file in another DAW software: no problem to control the volume!

Any and all advice very gratefully received!

Jeff

Modificado por última vez por emmrecs

Seguir Gracias Citar

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

Comentarios

SP. escrito el 30.11.PM a las 13:27 horas

@emmrecs Try the usual things like rebooting the computer or try to reset the program settings under the Files > Settings menu.

browj2 escrito el 30.11.PM a las 13:38 horas

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff,

No problem here, but I didn't install the Magix Audio Remote Control. I only tried with some Soundpool loops.

Did you try another ASIO driver?

You may want to try reinstalling.

John CB

John C.B.

VideoPro X(16); Movie Studio 2024 Platinum; MM2025 Premium Edition; Samplitude Pro X8 Suite; see About me for more.

Desktop System - Windows 10 Pro 22H2; MB ROG STRIX B560-A Gaming WiFi; Graphics Card Zotac Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX-3060, PS; Power supply EVGA 750W; Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80GHz (UHD Graphics 630); RAM 32 GB; OS on Kingston SSD 1TB; secondary WD 2TB; others 1.5TB, 3TB, 500GB, 4TB, 5TB, 6TB, 8TB; three monitors - HP 25" main, LG 4K 27" second, HP 27" third; Casio WK-225 piano keyboard; M-Audio M-Track USB mixer.

Notebook - Microsoft Surface Pro 4, i5-6300U, 8 GB RAM, 256 SSD, W10 Pro 20H2.

YouTube Channel: @JCBrownVideos

emmrecs escrito el 30.11.PM a las 16:35 horas

@SP.

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, doing both made no difference! So I restored my previous Settings file.

@browj2

Thanks also to you. I think my mention of the Remote Control app may have been entirely unintentionally confusing; it was not a material contributor here. I did also try a different ASIO driver, no change

I have to confess, the thought of reinstalling fills me with dread!

HOWEVER, I HAVE DISCOVERED THE CAUSE, BUT NOT THE REASON FOR THIS PROBLEM! Loading a different project, all the volume controls worked as expected!!! So, there is something about the particular project that is causing the problem. I have absolutely no idea what; I know there are a couple of instruments which MM tells me on loading that it cannot find and I tell it to ignore this. Could that be a reason for this rather bizarre behaviour?

Anyway, the basic problem is now resolved, albeit the reason is, so far, completely evading me.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 Quad Core 6700K @ 4GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1660TI and Intel HD530 Graphics, MOTU 8-Pre f/w audio interface, VPX, MEP, Music Maker, PhotoStory Deluxe, Photo Manager Deluxe, Xara 3D Maker 7, Reaper, Adobe Audition 3, CS6 and CC, 2 x Canon HG10 cameras, 1 x Canon EOS 600D, Akaso EK7000 Pro Action Cam

johnebaker escrito el 30.11.PM a las 19:42 horas

@emmrecs

Hi Jeff

No problem here with using the App. The only thing that did happen was the project starting playing automatically, at normal volume, after disconnecting the the App - spooky 😰.

John EB

VPX 16, Movie Studio 2025, and earlier versions 2015 and 2016, Music Maker Premium 2024.

PC - running Windows 11 23H2 Professional on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB 192-bit GDDR6, 1 x 1Tb Sabrent NVME SSD (OS and programs), 2 x 4TB (Data) internal HDD + 1TB internal SSD (Work disc), + 6 ext backup HDDs.

Laptop - Lenovo Legion 5i Phantom - running Windows 11 23H2 on Intel Core i7-10750H, 16GB DDR4-SDRAM, 512GB SSD, 43.9 cm screen Full HD 1920 x 1080, Intel UHD 630 iGPU and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB GDDR6)

Sony FDR-AX53e Video camera, DJI Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

JustineP escrito el 23.02.PM a las 20:14 horas

Hi Jeff - I am currently having exactly the same problem. Other files work fine (master volume is adjustable), but occasionally, with a well-developed song, the ASIO driver suddenly starts doing this to me. It seems to max out the volume, no matter what I try to lower it to. A temporary fix seems to be to change drivers to something besides ASIO, but I've learned that can develop into different types of audio problems. At least you can hear your song at a reasonable volume in the meantime. Another solution I've tried in the past is to carefully cut/paste all tracks into a new file (with matching settings). This worked once before. I might have to try this again. I HAVE heard that sometimes certain instrument sounds can be corrupt and cause such problems. So I previously did an update on ALL instruments, but I have since regretted that (lost ALL my 'hearted' selections, plus I think some of my favorites disappeared, and could no longer be heard in my past song files, or were switched out(?) with some other sound in the song!). Admittedly, I'm mostly a beginner at all these tools. I wish someone could recognize what's causing this master volume issue, and help us out (though I'm guessing you have moved on by now, with other solutions). I think it's related to ASIO, even though that's the driver that MAGIX most recommends. There's also something to be said about specific audio settings, but I won't get into all that here, since everything seems to work fine for me until the song is close to being completed. My songs ARE somewhat long; maybe the file gets too big?? Who knows.

Justine

P.S. Oh, and I'm using MAGIX Music Maker Premium 2023, version 31.03.26

emmrecs escrito el 24.02.AM a las 11:05 horas

@JustineP

Hi, no I never did get to the bottom of the problem with that specific MM project! Your idea of cutting/pasting to a new project sounds like something well worth trying.

The latest version of MM is 31.0.4.35 so it might, as a first step, be a good idea to update your version.

As to the instruments problem: have you tried the option in Program Settings>General options to Clean up store and, possibly, Rescan soundpools?

Jeff

JustineP escrito el 20.03.PM a las 20:29 horas

Hi Jeff - I just realized I never replied (sorry). Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't yet updated to the latest version, for fear of problems while I'm deep into my next song (yes, beginner paranoia). But I did, indeed, clean up store and rescan all soundpools (which is what made certain patches disappear and all "hearted" selections were no longer identified). I did find one other clue to the lost use of master volume: The Limiter. Don't ask me how. But I accidentally discovered that if I clicked the power button on the Limiter, the master volume worked again (the yellow "FX" lights up again on the master volume). This may not work for you or others, and I don't even understand it (yet). But that might be some sort of clue. Again, disclaimer: I'm a beginner.